• Score: Johns Hopkins 3 • McDaniel 0 (25-12, 25-21, 25-16)
• Records: Johns Hopkins (23-3 • 10-0 CC), McDaniel (19-8 • 6-4)
• Location: Baltimore, MD (Goldfarb Gym)
• The Short Story: The top-seeded Johns Hopkins women’s volleyball team defeated fifth-ranked McDaniel 3-0 in the semifinals of the Centennial Conference Tournament to advance to the finals for the second straight season.
How it Happened
• The Blue Jays jumped out to an early 6-2 lead in set one and built an eight-point lead at 13-5 to force a Green Terror timeout. An ace from Elizabeth Wuerstle put JHU up15-8 and Hopkins would build the lead to 17-8 on her serve. Johns Hopkins would score four straight points on Wuerstle’s serve later in the set to go up 22-9 and a kill from Natalie Aston gave Hopkins set one by a score of 25-12.
• McDaniel took its first lead in the second set as it built a 9-5 lead. The Blue Jays chipped away at the lead, and a kill from Kristi Rhead would get Hopkins to within one at 13-12. A block from Aston tied the match at 13, but a service error from Hopkins put the Green Terror back in front. Louisa Kishton tied the set at 14 with a kill and Sasha Gorelik followed with a kill of her own to put JHU back on top 15-14. Hopkins built its lead up to 21-18 forcing the Green Terror to use a timeout. The teams would exchange points before JHU scored three points, capped by a Kishton kill to take set two, 25-21.
• In set three, JHU got out in front 7-5, but McDaniel battled back to take a 10-9 lead. Wuerstle and Rhead combined on a block to tie the set at 10 and a kill from Wuerstle a few points later put the Blue Jays up 12-11. Hopkins scored five straight points on Wuerstle’s serve to go up 17-12 and McDaniel would take a timeout. The Green Terror got to 20-13, but Hopkins would remain in the lead and Kishton would notch her second ace to give JHU the set 25-16 and the match 3-0.
What it Means
• The Blue Jays will play in their second straight Centennial Conference Final where the Blue Jays hold a 4-3 record.
• This will be the eight championship appearance for JHU.
• The win was the first for Johns Hopkins over McDaniel in the conference tournament.
Inside the Box Score
• Simone Bliss led Hopkins with nine kills and was followed by Wuerstle and Rhead who had eight each.
• Aston had a game-high 26 assists, and now has 498 on the year.
• Wuerstle added five aces to her resume and now has 96 on the season and 257 for her career.
• Kishton and Esther Hong led the Blue Jays with eight digs.
• As a team, Hopkins hit .325.
• With the win, Hopkins advances to the finals of the Centennial Conference Tournament for the second consecutive season. The Blue Jays will face the winner of Swarthmore/Haverford tomorrow at 1 pm.