Volleyball Falls to #2 Emory, 3-1
• Score: 3-1 (25-19, 21-25, 25-23, 25-23)
• Records: Johns Hopkins (0-1), #2 Emory (1-0)
• Location: Springfield, OH (Wittenberg University)
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins women’s volleyball team opened up the 2017 season against #2 Emory University, but fell short of the upset in a highly contested four set match.
How it Happened
• The Blue Jays dropped the first two points of the match, but quickly tied it up.
• The two teams played back-and-fourth volleyball before the Eagles were able to go on a run to claim the first set.
• Hopkins opened the second set on a 6-0 run, however, Emory would chip away and eventually get the score to 10-7. The Jays then went on a 5-1 run and claimed the second set by four points.
• Emory went up seven points in the third set, but JHU rallied to get within two points, however the Eagles would hang onto the lead and go up two sets.
• The fourth and final set was highly contested, with neither team able to pull away. The Jays were able to get a lead late in the set, but Emory rallied and took the decisive set.
What it Means
• The Jays still have yet to defeat the Eagles, falling to 0-8 all-time.
• Prior to this match, Hopkins had won its previous two season openers.
Inside the Box Score
• Louisa Kishton led the team with 16 kills, while Elizabeth Wuerstle was second with 15.
• Kristi Rhead dished out 22 assists for the Jays, while Natalie Aston contributed 17 helpers.
• Hopkins had a kill percentage of .201, while Emory had a kill percentage of .194.
• The Jays will play two matches tomorrow, Saturday September 2. The first match will be against Illinois Wesleyan and is scheduled to begin at 12:30 pm. Match two will be against #11 Wittenberg and will start at approximately 5:30 pm.