• Location: Fredericksburg, VA • The Battleground Athletic Complex
• The Short Story: Johns Hopkins freshman Anjie Kashyap advanced to the finals of the 2017 ITA Southeast Regional Singles Championship on Monday. She is the first Blue Jay freshman to do so since 2013.
How it Happened • Championship Singles
• Kashyap opened her career with a 6-0, 6-3 win over Maria Cuervo (SC). She then beat ninth-seeded Melissa Strome (CMU) 7-5, 6-2. In the round of 16, she rallied to beat Maddie Weber (WLU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1. Kashyap took down her second seeded opponent when she beat fourth-seeded Johanna Ranta-aho (CNU) 6-2, 6-2 in the quarterfinals. She then defeated ninth-seeded Vinaya Rao (CMU) 6-1, 7-6 (3), 6-1 in the semifinals. Her run ended in the title match in close 7-6 (5), 6-4 loss to ninth-seeded Rachel Summers.
• Sophomore Sophia Strickland, seeded ninth, advanced to the round of 16. She opened with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Jane Bary (HC) and then defeated Julia Kwedi (SU) 6-2, 2-3 (retired). Strickland then lost to top-seeded Cori Sidell (CMU) 6-2, 6-3.
• Junior Katie Gauch won her first match 7-6 (3), 6-1 over Gavriel Rubenstei (FMC). She fell in the round of 32 to Hannah Rosenfield (CMU) 6-1, 6-3.
• Freshman Dhanya Asokumar dropped her first match 6-1, 6-3 to third-seeded Michelle Fleenor (WLU). In the consolation bracket, she earned her first win with a 9-7 decision over Emily Shutman (HC). Asokumar then lost to Courtney Ollis (CMU) 8-4.
• Junior Chrissy Simon opened the tournament with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Emma Angle (MORC). She then lost to fifth-seeded Jamie Vizelman (CMU) 6-2, 6-2.
• Junior Kimberly Zou, seeded ninth in the draw, lost her first match to Melissa Barall (SMC) 6-3, 6-2. In the consolation draw, she beat Greta Koch (HC) 8-1 and then Hannah Archer (WLU) 9-8 (3).
• Freshman Margo Gerke won her first career match as she beat Shirline Wee (SC) 6-2, 6-4. She lost in the round of 32 to Rao 6-1, 6-4.
• Freshman Sabrina Adams dropped her first match, 6-0, 6-0 to Julia Gan (HC). She then lost in the consolation draw to Alexandra Drye (CNU) 8-1.
How it Happened • Championship Doubles
• Strickland and Zou lost their first-round match, 8-6, to Rao and Strome, seeded fifth in the draw. In the consolation bracket, they beat Emily Wandling and Samantha Yew (SBC), 8-1. The pair then defeated Christina Harris and Halle Lavieri (LC), 8-3.
• Asokumar and Kashyap fell 8-5 to Ollis and Sidell, seeded fourth in the draw, in the first round. In the consolation, they beat Cuervo and Elise Talley, 8-4.
• Gerke and Simon lost their first match, 8-4, to Summers and Caroline Mosberg. In the consolation draw, the pair won on a walkover against Kwedl and Annika Kezman and then fell to fifth-seeded Emma Kassan and Anna Scheibmeir (SC), 9-8 (4).
How it Happened • Blue Doubles
• Junior Mika Inadomi and sophomore Prerna Singh lost in the opening round to Sophie Dixon and Brittany McBride (UMW), 8-3. The pair then lost in the consolation draw to Rachel Bronkema and Rachel Hechinger (SC), 8-6.
• Abrams and Gauch beat Kelsi Mentzer and Jenna Skove 8-3 in the first round. The pair then defeated Morgan Happe and Janine Jones (GCC), 8-4. In the semifinals, Abrams and Gauch lost to Rosenfield and Alexandra Iordache, 8-2.
What it Means
• Kashyap is just the second freshman in program history to advance to the ITA Southeast singles championship. She is the first to do so since Amanda Austi in 2013.
• This marks the fifth straight year that a Hopkins player has played in the championship match. It is also the seventh time since 2010.
• Hopkins will open the spring season on March 2 at the 2018 ITA National Team Indoor Championship in Chattanooga, TN.