Johns Hopkins Defeats Haverford, 8-1
• Score: #15 Johns Hopkins-8, Haverford-1
• Records: JHU (11-4, 6-0 CC) • HC (6-6, 4-2 CC)
• Location: Haverford, PA • Marshall Tennis Courts
• The Short Story: The 15th-ranked Johns Hopkins women’s tennis team ran its regular season conference win streak to 106 with an 8-1 win at Haverford Friday afternoon.
How it Happened
• Hopkins jumped out to a 3-0 lead over Haverford as the Blue Jays swept the doubles matches. Freshman Sophia Strickland and sophomore Kimberly Zou won 8-2 at first over Greta Koch and Abby Payson.
• Seniors Anna Kankanala and Amanda Soo Ping Chow beat Emily Shutman and Jane Bary, 8-3, at second. Sophomore Katie Gauch and freshman Mika Inadomi closed out doubles with a hard-fought 9-8 (5) win over Jessica Liu and Clara Farrehi at third.
• Strickland won at first, beating Shutman 6-4, 6-2 at first singles. Zou lost just two games in her win at second as she defeated Koch 6-2, 6-0.
• Kankanala clinched the win at third with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Payson. Soo Ping Chow won by the same score at four over Bary.
• Gauch defeated Rory Lewis at fifth 6-3, 6-2. Liu picked up the Fords’ lone point of the match with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Inadomi at sixth.
For the Record
• Hopkins improves to 22-7 all-tie against Haverford and has won 21 straight in the series.
• Kankanala now has 78 total wins in her career, tying her for 13th in program history.
• Hopkins returns to the court on Tuesday, April 18 against Franklin & Marshall. The Centennial Conference match is slated for a 4:00 pm start at the JHU Tennis Courts.