Johns Hopkins Defeats Bates, 7-2, at Blue-Grey Invitational
• Score: #13 Johns Hopkins-7, Bates-2
• Records: JHU (2-3) • BC (3-6)
• Location: Fredericksburg, VA • Battleground Athletic Complex
• The Short Story: The 13th-ranked Johns Hopkins women’s tennis team beat Bates, 7-2, on the second day of the Mary Washington Blue-Grey Invitational. Junior Caroline Greydak clinched the win for the Blue Jays.
How it Happened
• Maisie Silverman and Bella Stone beat senior Anna Kankanala and sophomore Kimberly Zou, 8-5, at first doubles.
• Greydak and senior Jody Law needed just nine games to defeat Elizabeth Erbafina and Isabelle Rovniski at second doubles.
• Senior Mikey Barthelmass and freshman Sophia Strickland dropped just two games in an 8-2 win over Lauren Hernandez and Katie Rosenthal at third doubles and the Blue Jays led 2-1 heading into singles play.
• Silverman picked up her second win of the day and earned the Bobcats’ lone singles point with a 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (7) win at first over Law.
• Strickland earned a 6-2, 7-6 (4) win over Erbafina at second and Greydak clinched the win with a 6-3, 7-5 defeat of Stone at third singles.
• Zou dropped just three games as she beat Rovinski 6-0, 6-3 at fourth singles. Barthelmass won 6-2, 6-2 at fifth over Rosenthal. Sophomore Chrissy Simon defeated Olivia Voccola 6-1, 6-3 at sixth.
What it Means
• Johns Hopkins improves to 2-0 all-time against Bates in the first meeting between the two since 2011.
• Hopkins takes on Whitman on Sunday, March 19 at 8:00 am in the final day of the Blue-Grey Invitational.