Washington University Defeats Johns Hopkins, 5-0
By Jill Guise
Assistant Director of Athletic Communications
• Score: #11 Washington University-5, #13 Johns Hopkins-0
• Records: JHU (0-5) • WU (3-2)
• Location: Chattanooga, TN • Manker Patten
• The Short Story: Eleventh-ranked Washington University defeated 13th-ranked Johns Hopkins, 5-0, in the seventh place match of the 2018 ITA National Indoor Championship.
How it Happened
• The Bears swept the doubles matches to grab an early 3-0 lead over the Blue Jays. Sixth-ranked Grace Deering and Ally Persky won a close 8-6 match at first over sophomore Sophia Strickland and freshman Anjie Kashyap.
• At second doubles, Ashley Lessen and Lily Schroeder beat junior Kimberly Zou and freshman Dhanya Asokumar, 8-3. Lisa Chionis and Sanjna Tripathy closed out doubles with an 8-5 win at third over freshman Margo Gerke and junior Katie Gauch.
• Washington University earned wins at fourth and sixth singles to clinch the win. Brigitte Hodge beat Gauch 6-2, 6-3 and Libby Jubas won 6-2, 7-5 over junior Chrissy Simon. The remaining four singles matches were halted.
What it Means
• Today’s match was the first ever meeting between Hopkins and Washington University. The Blue Jays are now 13-11 in six appearances at the championship.
• Hopkins returns to the court on Saturday, March 17 as the Blue Jays take on the Skidmore Thoroughbreds at Mary Washington.