Washington & Lee Defeats Johns Hopkins At ITA National Indoor Championship
By Jill Guise
Assistant Director of Athletic Communications
• Score: #12 Washington & Lee-7, #13 Johns Hopkins-2
• Records: JHU (0-4) • WLU (7-1)
• Location: Chattanooga, TN • The Baylor School
• The Short Story: The 13th-ranked Johns Hopkins women’s tennis team fell 7-2 to 12th-ranked Washington & Lee in the consolation draw of the 2018 ITA Indoor National Championship.
How it Happened
• Washington & Lee grabbed two of three doubles matches to take the early lead in the match. Valerie Marshall and Lily Horsley picked up an 8-3 win at second over junior Kimberly Zou and freshman Dhanya Asokumar. At third, Emily Kochard and Anna Kreynin beat junior Katie Gauch and freshman Margo Gerke, 8-4. Freshman Anjie Kashyap and sophomore Sophia Strickland made it a 2-1 match with an 8-7 (0) win over 16th-ranked Michelle Fleenor and Lauren Hasssell. It is their second win this season over the ranked doubles team.
• Fleenor picked up a 6-3, 6-3 win over Kashyap at first singles and Marshall defeated Strickland 6-1, 6-3 at second. Kochard and Mary Hampton McNeal each grabbed close 6-4, 6-4 wins over Zou and junior Chrissy Simon.
• Horsley won at fourth, beating Gauch 6-2, 7-6 and Asokumar grabbed a win for the Blue Jays with a 6-3, 7-6 win over Hassell at sixth.
What it Means
• Today’s match was the second meeting between the Blue Jays and the Generals in the last seven days. Hopkins fell to 2-8 all-time against Washington & Lee with the loss.
• Hopkins will face 11th-ranked Washington University in the seventh-place match on Sunday, March 4 at 9:00 am at the Manker Patten Tennis Club. Fans can follow along here: http://scores.tennisticker.de/usa/ita/WD3-2018/lp.html?lid=170