Pomona-Pitzer Tops Johns Hopkins at ITA Indoor National Quarterfinals
By Jill Guise
Assistant Director of Athletic Communications
• Score: #6 Pomona-Pitzer-8, #13 Johns Hopkins-1
• Records: JHU (0-3) • PPC (2-0)
• Location: Chattanooga, TN • McCallie School
• The Short Story: Sixth-ranked and second-seeded Pomona-Pitzer defeated the 13th-ranked Johns Hopkins women’s tennis team, 8-1, in the quarterfinals of the 2018 ITA National Indoor Championship Friday afternoon.
How it Happened
• The Sagehens grabbed two of the three doubles matches to take a 2-1 lead heading into singles. Maryann Zhao and Emily Chen took an 8-1 win over sophomore Sophia Strickland and freshman Anjie Kashyap at first doubles. At second, Caroline Casper and Shivani Doraiswami earned an 8-2 win over junior Kimberly Zou and freshman Dhanya Asokumar. Hopkins grabbed a point in the match when junior Katie Gauch and freshman Margo Gerke beat Rebecca Salaway and Summer Garrison, 8-6, at third.
• Chen pushed the Pomona-Pitzer’s lead to 3-1 when she beat Gauch 6-2, 6-0 at fifth singles. Doraiswami followed with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Gerke at fourth. Casper clinched the win for the Sagehens with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Kashyap at first.
• Zhao rallied to defeat Strickland, 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (3) at second. Garrison then defeated Zou 6-3, 7-6 (7) at third. And in the final match of the afternoon, Salaway earned a 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (8) win over junior Chrissy Simon at sixth singles.
What it Means
• Hopkins is now 1-2 all-time against Pomona-Pitzer, with all three meetings coming at the ITA Indoor National Championship.
• Hopkins will face 12th-ranked Washington & Lee in the consolation bracket on Saturday at 9:00 am. Fans can follow the match via live stats here: http://scores.tennisticker.de/usa/ita/WD3-2018/lp.html?lid=170