Johns Hopkins Falls at Washington & Lee
By Jill Guise
Assistant Director of Athletic Communications
• Score: #12 Washington & Lee-7, #13 Johns Hopkins-2
• Records: JHU (0-2) • WLU (6-0)
• Location: Lexington, VA • Duchossois Tennis Center
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins women’s tennis team dropped a 7-2 decision at 12th-ranked Washington & Lee on Saturday afternoon.
How it Happened
• The Generals took a 2-1 lead after doubles with wins at second and third. Sophomore Sophia Strickland and freshman Anjie Kashyap grabbed a win for the Blue Jays with an 8-6 win over 16th-ranked Michelle Fleenor and Lauren Hassell at first.
• Lily Horsley and Valerie Marshall beat junior Kimberly Zou and freshman Dhanya Asokumar 8-3 at second. Anna Kreynin and Emily Kochard gave the Generals the lead after doubles as they beat junior Katie Gauch and freshman Margo Gerke, 8-5, at third.
• Zou earned the Blue Jays’ lone singles win as she beat Kochard 6-3, 6-7, 10-4 at third. Fleenor took a 6-1, 6-2 win at first over Kashyap.
• Marshall won 6-1, 6-4 at second over Strickland and Horsley beat Gerke 6-2, 6-2 at fourth. Mary Hampton McNeal won 6-2, 6-1 over Gauch at fifth and Hassell won 7-6, 6-0 over junior Chrissy Simon at sixth.
• Hopkins is back in action on Friday, March 2 at the ITA National Team Indoor Championship. Hopkins will take on Pomona-Pitzer in the quarterfinals at the McCallie School in Chattanooga, TN.