Navy Tops Johns Hopkins, 7-0
By Jill Guise
Assistant Director of Athletic Communications
• Score: Navy-7, Johns Hopkins-0
• Records: JHU (0-1) • USNA (7-4)
• Location: Annapolis, MD • Tose Family Tennis Center
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins women’s tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision at host Navy on Sunday afternoon in the Blue Jays’ spring opener.
How it Happened
• Navy grabbed the doubles point with a sweep of all three matches. Catalina Rico and Miranda Deng opened with a 6-1 win over freshman Anjie Kashyap and sophomore Sophia Strickland at first doubles. Josie Rogeres and Ansofi Wreder then defeated junior Katie Gauch and freshman Margo Gerke 6-2 at third. Aimee Dervishian and Danika Kahatapitiya closed out doubles play with a 6-3 win over freshman Dhanya Asokumar and junior Kimberly Zou at second.
• Kaylah Hodge opened singles play with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Gauch at fifth singles. Amanda Keller followed with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Kashyap at first.
• Emily Louie-Meadors won 6-3, 6-0 at second over Strickland to clinch the win for the Mids. Amanda Cyr then beat junior Chrissy Simon 6-2, 6-1 at sixth.
• Claudia MacKenzie followed with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Gerke at fourth. Carlee Conway ended the match with a 6-4, 6-2 win at third over Zou.
What it Means
• Today’s match was the first-ever meeting between Hopkins and Navy.
• Hopkins travels to Lexington, VA on Saturday, February 24 to take on 12th-ranked Washington & Lee. The non-conference match is slated for a Noon start.