Johns Hopkins Places Seventh at Princeton's Big Al Open
• Score: Johns Hopkins 7th (241 points)
• Location: Princeton, NJ • DeNunzio Pool
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins women’s swim team finished in seventh place at the 2017 Big Al Open hosted by Princeton. The lone non-Division I team in the nine-team field, Hopkins grabbed 241 points over the three-day meet. Princeton won the meet with 872 points, followed by Brown (725) and Villanova (673) to round out the top three.
Quoting Coach Armstrong
• “We had several great swims and the team put up some nation-leading times. The group showed us where we are in the season and while know there is a lot of hard work to look forward to, it was rewarding to have such a successful weekend.”
• Hopkins opened the final day with a pair of swimmers in the top 20 of the 1650 Free. Freshman Amy Pearson finished in 15th place as she clocked in at 17:48.86. Junior Colleen Anderson finished in 18:00.27 for 18th place.
• Junior Sami Kegel then led the Blue Jays in the 200 Back as she took sixth in the B final, 14th overall, with a time of 2:04.20. Her prelim time of 2:03.22 is an NCAA B cut. Freshman Emma McElrath finished in third in the C final, 19th overall, with a finals time of 2:04.30. Freshman Carmela Irato took sixth in the C final as she touched in 2:07.20.
• Sophomore Alison Shapiro followed with a sixth-place finish in the C final of the 100 Free in 52.19.
• Four Blue Jays then competed in the finals of the 200 Breast, led by senior Gwynnie LaMastra. She won the B final, ninth overall, as she clocked in with an NCAA B cut of 2:19.00. Sophomore Sonia Lin finished in third in the C final with an NCAA B cut of 2:22.55. Senior Sara Wujciak took sixth in the C final in 2:23.57 and sophomore Claire State placed seventh in 2:25.21.
• Senior Courtney Cowan then took seventh in the B final, 15th overall, of the 200 Fly. She touched in 2:044, good for an NCAA B cut.
• Hopkins wrapped up the Big Al Open with eighth and 10th-place finishes in the 400 Free Relay. The team of Shapiro, seniors Anna Wisniewski, Lena Bless and Cowan turned in an NCAA B cut time of 3:26.11. In addition, Shapiro’s split of 51.76 is an NCAA B cut. Taking 10th place with an NCAA B cut were Pearson, sophomore Michelle Wang, junior Emily Cheng and LaMastra in 3:29.54.
• The Blue Jays will travel to North Palm Beach in early January for their annual training trip. Hopkins will then return home to take on Stevens Tech at home on January 13.