LaMastra Breaks 100 Breast Record at Big Al Open
• Score: Johns Hopkins • 7th (189 points)
• Location: Princeton, NJ • DeNunzio Pool
• The Short Story: Senior Gwynnie LaMastra broke her own school record in the 100 Breast and the Johns Hopkins women’s swim team sits in seventh place at the Big Al Open. Host Princeton is in first place with 608 points, followed by Brown (531) and Villanova (485) to round out the top three.
Quoting Coach Armstrong
• “Another strong day! The men’s 200 Medley Relay got us started with a new team record and Emile Kuyl and Gwynnie LaMastra followed with records of their own! With one day left, the team is staying focused on the process and the coaches couldn’t be more proud of everyone’s hard work.”
• The Blue Jays kicked off the Saturday night session with sixth and 12th-place finishes in the 200 Medley Relay. Sophomore Sonia Lin, LaMastra, senior Anna Wisniewski and sophomore Alison Shapiro swam an NCAA provisional time of 1:43.63 for sixth place. Taking 12th were freshman Carmela Irato, sophomore Claire State, junior Elizabeth Duncan and freshman Mikayla Bisignani with a time of 1:46.66.
• Senior Courtney Cowan then placed sixth in the B final, 14th overall, in the 200 Free as she finished in 1:51.30. Both her finals and prelim times (1:50.66) were NCAA provisional times. Freshman Emma McElrath finished in fourth in the C final, 20th overall, with an NCAA provisional time of 1:52.55. And placing eighth in the C final was freshman Amy Pearson in 1:55.12.
• LaMastra followed with her record-breaking swim and a third-place finish in the 100 Breast. She turned in a 1:02.87 to break her own record by 0.36 seconds. Her prelim time of 1:03.44 was, at the time, the second fastest in program history. Her finals time was also an NCAA provisional time. Lin finished in third place in the C final, 19th overall, as she touched in 1:05.18. State finished in sixth in 1:05.71, followed by senior Sara Wujciak (1:05.77) in seventh and freshman Hanan Bandak (1:06.47) in eighth.
• Irato was the only Blue Jay in the finals of the 100 Back and she placed sixth in the C final with a time of 58.63.
• Hopkins ended the night with eighth and 10th-place finishes in the 800 Free Relay. Cowan, McElrath, Pearson and Bandak combined for an NCAA provisional time of 7:33.05. In addition, Cowan’s split of 1:51.94 was an NCAA provisional time. The team of State, junior Emily Cheng, senior Lena Bless and sophomore Michelle Wang finished in 7:39.45.
• Hopkins returns to action at the Big Al Open on Sunday, December 3. Prelims are scheduled to begin at 9:00 am with the 200 Back and finals are slated to begin at 5:00 pm.