Brown Places Seventh in 200 Fly at NCAA Championship
• Location: Shenandoah, TX • Conroe ISD Natatorium
• The Short Story: Senior Abby Brown turned in her best performance in the 200 Fly, earning seventh place on day three of the NCAA Swimming & Diving Championships. Hopkins is in ninth place with 85.5 points after three days. Emory remains in first place with 471.5 points, followed by Williams (327) and Kenyon (270).
• In the final swim of her career, senior Abby Brown went out in record-breaking fashion. In her first-ever championship final of the 200 Fly, she clocked in at 2:02.09 for seventh place. It is the best finish by the Blue Jays in the 200 Fly since Rocio Lopez finished seventh in 1996. Brown also shaved 1.04 seconds off her morning swim.
• Junior Gwynnie LaMastra then tied for 14th place in the 100 Breast with a finals time of 1:04.07. It is her third straight top-16 finish in the 100 Breast.
• Hopkins ended the night with a 14th-place finish in the 800 Free Relay. Juniors Courtney Cowan, Lena Bless, LaMastra and Kaitlin Jones combined for a time of 7:33.17.
• Brown’s time of 2:02.09 in the 200 Fly broke the school record by 0.66 seconds and is 0.86 seconds faster than her career best.
• LaMastra’s prelim time of 1:03.61 in the 100 Breast is tied for third fastest in school history.
• Brown finishes her career with eight All-America honors, including three in 2017. Jones earned her 13th career All-America honor while LaMastra earner her 12th. Cowan now has nine All-America honors in her career and Bless has two.
• The 2017 NCAA Swimming and Diving Championship concludes on Saturday, March 18. The prelims are set for 10:00 am CT and will begin with the 100 Free. The finals are slated for a 6:00 pm start. Fans can watch the finals at www.ncaa.com/liveschedule with live results available on the Meet Mobile app.