Johns Hopkins Posts Five More NCAA B Cuts On Final Day of Nike Cup
• Location: Chapel Hill, NC • Maurice J. Koury Natatorium
• The Short Story: On the third and final day of the Janis Hape Dowd Nike Invitational, the Johns Hopkins women’s swim team posted five NCAA B cuts and three personal bests.
Quoting Coach Armstrong
• “Tonight was all about the seniors! They had a great night and Austin Wilson, Ronan Corgel, and Colby Yu all ended their swimming careers with lifetime best swims! For many it's congrats on a great year and for others it's time to get back to work for NCAA's. What's clear is that we are proud of this team!”
• Hopkins opened the final session with six swimmers in the finals of the 200 Back, led by sophomore Michelle Wang. She posted a personal best of 2:03.99 to finish in second place. Freshman Emma McElrath followed in 2:04.51 for third place and junior Sami Kegel placed fourth in 2:06.41.
• Senior Anna Wisniewski then led a contingent of eight Blue Jays in the finals of the 100 Free. She swam to a second-place finish with a time of 51.99. Sophomore Alison Shapiro touched in 52.56 for third place and senior Lena Bless finished in 53.08 for fourth place.
• Senior Gwynnie LaMastra then clocked in with a 2:17.36 in the 200 Breast. Her time was not only an NCAA B cut, but the third fastest in program history. Senior Kaitlin Jones also posted a B cut as she finished in 2:19.63 for fourth place. Also posting an NCAA B cut was sophomore Sonia Lin with her prelim time of 2:22.98.
• In the 200 Fly, junior Elizabeth Duncan turned in a career-best swim of 2:06.73
• The 400 Medley Relay saw the Blue Jays post two more NCAA B cuts, as well as a personal best. The squad of sophomore Kiki Petersen, senior Courtney Cowan, Bless and senior Sara Wujciak combined for a time of 3:26.58. Petersen’s lead-off leg of 51.02 was also a B cut. Wisniewski, Shapiro, LaMastra and Jones followed in 3:30.73 for second place.
• Hopkins will now prepare for the 2018 NCAA Swimming & Diving Championship, which is slated for March 21-24 in Indianapolis, IN.