Chan Posts NCAA B Cut at Carolina College Nike Invitational
• Score: No team scores
• Location: Durham, NC • Taishoff Aquatics Pavilion
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins women’s swim team had another good day at the 2017 Janis Hape Dowd Carolina College Nike Invitational. Senior Shirley Chan led the Blue Jays with an NCAA provisional cut in the 100 Fly.
• Hopkins opened the night with third and fourth-place finishes in the 200 Medley Relay. Senior Ariana Waitkavicz and freshmen Sonia Lin, Caroline Ward and Alison Shapiro took third place with a time of 1:46.31. Following in fourth place were freshman Sami Kegel, junior Sara Wujciak, senior Lindsay Kriz and freshman Kiki Petersen in 1:48.72.
• Freshman Lauren Parker then placed second in the B Final of the 400 IM as she touched in 4:43.24.
• Chan won the B Final of the 100 Fly as she clocked in at 56.56, an NCAA provisional cut. Freshman Lauren Harris placed seventh with a career-best time of 57.46. Ward took third in the C Final with a time of 59.37.
• Freshman Michelle Wang led the Blue Jays in the 200 Free with a fourth-place finish in the C Final of the 200 Free as she touched in 1:55.27. Sophomore Emily Cheng followed in fifth (1:56.05) and freshman Claire State in eighth (1:59.34).
• Wujciak led a quartet of Blue Jays in the finals of the 100 Breast with a third-place finish in the B Final. She clocked in at 1:06.06. Lin turned in a career-best time of 1:06.27 to place fourth and sophomore Julia Pacitti took eighth in 1:09.37. Freshman Therese Larson finished in sixth place in the C Final with a time of 1:09.89.
• Waitkavicz then took sixth place in the B Final of the 100 Back in 58.59 and senior Kristen Kaiser finished in eighth place with a time of 59.84. Junior Lena DiPrizito placed third in the C Final as she touched in 1:00.68.
• Hopkins wrapped up day two with a third-place finish in the 800 Free Relay. Kriz, Ward, State and Kaiser finished in 7:53.22.
Quoting Coach Armstrong
• “Again the team stepped up with many best times and some young freshmen learning to lead from their seniors. Bryan Pon stood out with a great senior effort, while Matthew Garza and Sonia Lin stepped up for the freshmen.”
• The Janis Hape Dowd Carolina College Nike Invitational concludes on Sunday, February 5. The prelims are scheduled to begin at 10:00 am at Duke’s Taishoff Aquatics Pavilion.