Blue Jays Post Six NCAA B Cuts on Day Two of Nike Cup
• Location: Durham, NC • Taishoff Aquatics Pavilion
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins women’s swim team posted six NCAA B cuts and two personal bests on day two of the Janis Hape Dowd Nike Invitational Saturday.
Quoting Coach Armstrong
• It was another strong day. There are always ups and downs but Michael Wohl was up twice with two great swims in the 200 and 100 Free and the women were led by Anna Wisnewski's 100 fly and a great 400 Medley Relay to finish the night.”
• Hopkins opened the night with a second-place finish in the 200 Medley Relay. Freshman Carmela Irato, sophomore Sonia Lin, junior Emily Cheng and sophomore Alison Shapiro combined for a time of 1:47.16.
• The Blue Jays then went two-three-four in the 100 Fly. Wisniewski led the way with an NCAA B cut and a time of 55.66. Juniors Natalia Rincon and Elizabeth Duncan followed in 57.11 and 57.39, respectively.
• Freshman Emma McElrath highlighted a contingent of nine Blue Jays in the 200 Free as she clocked in with an NCAA B cut of 1:52.51. Sophomore Michelle Wang finished in eighth place in 1:53.11, while her prelim time of 1:53.03 was a personal best. Freshman Hanan Bandak also turned in a personal best, touching the wall in 1:54.53 for ninth place.
• Senior Gwynnie LaMastra then swam a 1:03.48 in the 100 Breast – an NCAA B cut and the fifth fastest time in program history. Senior Kaitlin Jones posted an NCAA B cut of 1:04.79 to finish in sixth place and senior Sara Wujciak placed seventh in 1:05.78.
• Irato grabbed third place in the 100 Back as she clocked in at 59.05. Junior Sami Kegel followed in fourth place with a time of 1:00.19.
• The Blue Jays ended the night with a pair of NCAA B cuts in the 400 Medley Relay. Junior Natalia Rincon, Jones, Wisniewski and sophomore Kiki Petersen combined for a 3:47.05. Rincon also swam a lead-off 100 Back leg of 57.17.
• The Janis Hape Dowd Nike Invitational concludes on Sunday, February 4 at the Maurice J. Koury Natatorium in Chapel Hill, NC. Prelims are scheduled to begin at 10:00 am with finals set for 5:00 pm.