Johns Hopkins Competes at Carolina College Nike Invitational
• Score: No Team Score
• Location: Chapel Hill, NC • Koury Natatoirum / Durham, NC • Taishoff Aquatics Pavilion
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins women’s swim team kicked off day one of the 2017 Janis Hape Dowd Carolina College Nike Invitational with several strong performances. The Blue Jays, the lone Division III school among the nine teams, posted seven career-best times as well as an NCAA provisional cut.
• Hopkins opened the night with a sixth-place finish in the 200 Free Relay. The team of freshman Caroline Ward, junior Lena DiPrizito, senior Shirley Chan and freshman Lauren Harris finished in 1:38.55.
• Senior Kristen Kaiser led a quintet of Blue Jays that finished third through seventh in the B Final of the 500 Free. Kaiser touched in 5:09.34 and was followed closely by Lindsay Kriz in 5:09.55. Sophomore Colleen Anderson touched in 5:13.44, freshman Bailey Robertson in 5:17.31 and classmate Rabia Syed in 5:17.63.
• In the 200 IM freshman Michelle Wang led the Blue Jays with a fifth-place finish in the B Final with a time of 2:07.77. Her prelim swim of 2:07.05 is a career best as well as an NCAA provisional cut. Senior Sara Wujciak placed second in the C Final with a career-best time of 2:08.39. Sophomore Emily Cheng finished in sixth with a time of 2:09.63 and freshman Sami Kegel took seventh in 2:10.00. Kegel’s prelim time of 2:08.39 is a career best.
• Freshman Kiki Petersen led Hopkins in the 50 Free with a fifth-place finish in the B Final with a time of 24.13. Freshman Alison Shapiro grabbed second place in the C Final as she touched in 24.02.
• Hopkins wrapped up the evening with a second-place finish in the 400 Medley Relay. Wang, freshman Sonia Lin, Chan and Ward combined for a time of 3:53.18. Wang’s split of 57.87 in the 100 Back is a career best.
Quoting Coach Armstrong
"We are so excited to have so many best times. This meet is a real challenge for the team facing up against all Division I competition. To finish the night with so many best times and break throughs, shows where this team is. Austin Wilson stole the night on the men's side with a B cut and a three-plus second drop in the IM and Michelle Wang knocked off a best time B cut in the 200 IM and a best time in the 100 back!"
• Day two of the Janis Hape Dowd Carolina College Nike Invitational continues on Saturday, February 4. The prelims are scheduled to begin at 10:00 am at Duke’s Taishoff Aquatics Pavilion.