Johns Hopkins Competes on Day One of Nike Cup
• Location: Chapel Hill, NC • Maurice J. Koury Natatorium
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins women’s swim team had a strong finish to day one of the Janis Hape Dowd Nike Invitational today at UNC, setting five personal bests and posting nine NCAA B cuts.
Quoting Coach Armstrong
• “After a slow morning, the team really rallied around one another. After a strong 200 Free Relay, the women's 200 IM was a highlight led by Michelle Wang and Gwynnie LaMastra and the men's 500 free led by freshmen Christopher Arena, Matt McGough and Riley Mears all turning in big bear times.
• Hopkins opened the night with a first-place finish in the 200 Free Relay by senior Anna Wisniewski, sophomore Kiki Petersen, freshman Mikayla Bisignani and sophomore Alison Shapiro in 1:33.68. The quartet’s time is an NCAA B cut and the sixth fastest time in program history. In addition, Wisniewski’s lead split of 23.72 is also a B cut. The team of Wang, senior Lena Bless, sophomore Sonia Lin and junior Natalia Rincon placed second in 1:35.95. Wang’s opening split of 24.27 is a personal best.
• Senior Courtney Cowan and freshman Emma McElrath followed with second and third-place finishes in the 500 Free, each posting NCAA B cuts. Cowan touched in 4:57.43 with McElrath following just 0.17 seconds later.
• Wang led a contingent of Blue Jays in the 200 IM with a third-place finish and a career-best time of 2:04.40. LaMastra touched in 2:05.95 for fourth place, followed by Wisniewski in sixth (2:06.22) and senior Kaitlin Jones in seventh (2:06.42). All four times are NCAA B cuts. In addition, sophomores Lauren Parker and Therese Larson also set personal bests in the 200 IM.
• In the 50 Free, Petersen led the way as she clocked in at 23.70 for second place. Her prelim time of 23.51 is both a personal best and a B cut. Shapiro finished in fourth place with a time of 23.98 and Bisignani placed fifth in 24.26.
• The Blue Jays return to action tomorrow at Taishoff Aquatics Pavilion in Durham, NC. The action begins with preliminaries at 10:00 am and finals set to begin at 6:00 pm.