Sweet 16 Bound - JHU Defeats Wilkes 2-0
• Score: Johns Hopkins - 2, Wilkes - 0
• Records: Johns Hopkins (17-2-3), Wilkes (14-4-3)
• Location: Baltimore, MD (Homewood Field)
• The Short Story: Two second-half goals lifted the Johns Hopkins women's soccer team to a 2-0 victory over Wilkes University in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday afternoon. With the win, JHU advances to the Sweet 16, which will be held next weekend.
How it Happened
• The Blue Jays controlled the tempo in the first half, outshooting the Colonels 9-0 and putting three shots on goal. None of the Hopkins shots were able to get by Wilkes goalkeeper Courtney Stanley and the game went into the half tied at 0.
• Off a corner kick from Bailey Monaco that deflected off the finger-tips of Stanley, Kyla Persky headed in the deflection for the goal at 49:33 to give Johns Hopkins a 1-0 lead.
• In the 58th minute, Carly Lupton-Smith chipped a pass into the box that Michelle Santangelo sent into the back of the net to put Hopkins up 2-0.
• The Blue Jays continued to control the ball for the remainder of the game, and JHU would hang on for the 2-0 win.
What it Means
• The Blue Jays will advance to their ninth Sweet 16 in team history.
• Hopkins improves to 19-1-0 at home in the NCAA Tournament and 9-1-1 in second round games.
Inside the Box Score
• JHU outshot Wilkes 19-1 and put nine shots on goal.
• Hopkins took ten corner kicks in the game while the Colonels took none.
• Stanley made seven saves in goal for Wilkes.
• Persky's goal was the second of her career and first this season. Santangelo now has a team-high 18 goals.
• Johns Hopkins will play SUNY Geneseo in the Sweet 16. Game location and time have yet to be announced.