Jesse Cole's First Career Goal Lifts JHU Over McDaniel 1-0
• Score: #11 Johns Hopkins - 1, McDaniel - 0
• Records: #11 Johns Hopkins (11-2-1, 6-0 CC), McDaniel (9-4, 5-2 CC)
• Location: Westminster, MD (Soccer Field)
• The Short Story: Jesse Cole scored her first collegiate goal as the Johns Hopkins women's soccer team defeated McDaniel on the road on Wednesday afternoon by a 1-0 score.
How it Happened
• Early pressure by JHU led to shots by Insa Mannstadt and Kyla Persky but both were blocked by the Green Terror defense; a Thea Harvey-Brown shot also sailed high in the opening ten minutes of the match.
• McDaniel's best chance in the half came off a corner kick at 26:07, but Abby Keen's shot was turned away by Robyn Lipschultz to keep the game scoreless.
• With just under three minutes remaining in the half, Cole collected a loose ball in the box and put what turned out to be the game-winning goal past Green Terror goalkeeper, Sydney Kelly, to put Hopkins up 1-0.
• JHU would once again pepper the McDaniel defense with a number of shots early in the second half, however, none were able to find the back of the net.
• Maddie Schwartz looked to tie the game for the Green Terror at 75:27, but her shot was saved by Lipschultz, and Hopkins would claim the 1-0 win.
What it Means
• JHU is 24-5-0 all-time against the Green Terror.
• The Blue Jays have won 23 of last 24 games against McDaniel, with the lone loss coming last season (Oct. 22) at McDaniel by a score of 3-2. JHU responded later in the season with a 3-1 win in the Centennial Conference Tournament.
Inside the Box Score
• JHU outshot the Green Terror 13-9 and placed four shots on goal while McDaniel had three shots on net.
• McDaniel took six corner kicks while the Blue Jays took five in the match.
• Lipschultz made three saves to earn her fifth shutout as the sophomore has yet to allow a goal in her five starts this season.
• Kelly also made three saves in the match.
• Johns Hopkins is back in action on Saturday, October 14 as the Blue Jays will host Swarthmore in a Centennial Conference match. The game is scheduled to start at 4 pm at Homewood Field.
- 30 -
12/5/2017 | W. Soccer
Toni Abate Named to CoSIDA All-America Team
12/1/2017 | W. Soccer
Michelle Santangelo Named First Team All-American
11/30/2017 | W. Soccer
Hopkins Places Three on First Team All-Region
11/19/2017 | W. Soccer
JHU Falls to Williams, 3-0, in Elite 8
11/18/2017 | W. Soccer
O'Toole's Pair Lift JHU Past SUNY-Geneseo, 2-0, in Sweet 16
11/12/2017 | W. Soccer