O'Tool's Goals Lift JHU Over Haverford, 3-1
• Score: Johns Hopkins 3, Haverford 1
• Records: #8 Johns Hopkins (8-2-1, 3-0 CC), Haverford (5-3-1, 2-1 CC)
• Location: Haverford, PA (Walton Field)
• The Short Story: Down 1-0 early in the game, the #8 Johns Hopkins women’s soccer team scored three unanswered goals as they defeated Haverford 3-1 on the road on Saturday afternoon.
How it Happened
• The Fords took a quick 1-0 lead as Grace Mathis sent a pass to Leanne Ludwick who put the shot past Bess Kitzmiller at 4:20 in the first half.
• Riley O’Toole tied the game at one as she dribbled past two defenders and got the ball past Haverford goalkeeper Julie Hanss at 25:36.
• O’Toole gave JHU the lead as she headed in the cross from Michelle Santangelo at 49:44 to make the score 2-1.
• The Blue Jays would add another goal as Bailey Monaco took a shot from outside the 18 that went into the far lower corner of the net at 64:55 to give JHU the 3-1 lead.
• Kitzmiller and the rest of the Hopkins defense would hold the Fords scoreless for the remainder of the game as JHU would take the 3-1 win.
What it Means
• The Blue Jays are now 21-7-4 against Haverford and have won the past five meetings.
• With her assist, Santangelo has registered a point in five straight games, becoming the 10th player in team history to achieve that feat.
Inside the Box Score
• Kitzmiller made six saves in net, while Hanss made four.
• O’Toole now has seven goals on the season while Monaco has five. The assist gives Santangelo 19 points on the year.
• Haverford outshot Johns Hopkins 14-12 and took more corner kicks at 9-7.
• JHU returns to the pitch on Wednesday, October 4 as the Blue Jays will welcome Dickinson to Homewood Field for a Centennial Conference match beginning at 7 pm.