Santangelo's Hat Trick Lifts JHU Over Bryn Mawr, 9-0
• Score: #9 Johns Hopkins 9, Bryn Mawr 0
• Records: Johns Hopkins (5-1-1); Bryn Mawr (0-5)
• Location: Baltimore, MD. (Homewood Field)
• The Short Story: Michelle Santangelo scored her first career hat trick as the Johns Hopkins women’s soccer team defeated Bryn Mawr 9-0 on Sunday afternoon at Homewood Field. The nine goals scored in the game by the Blue Jays also matches a team record.
How it Happened
• Kristen Hori got the Blue Jays on the board first as she got by the Owls defender and placed a shot in the lower left side of the net for the goal at 9:01.
• Scoring her first collegiate goal was Katie Whittington as she tipped in the Santangelo pass at 25:43 to put Hopkins up 2-0.
• Santangelo scored her first goal of the game just over a minute later as she took a pass from Kristen Nixon and got the ball past Bryn Mawr goalkeeper Leah Baer which put JHU up 3-0.
• Goal number two for Santangelo would come via a penalty kick as she laced a shot past the diving Baer at 33:36 to put the Blue Jays up 4-0.
• Maddy Rocks would score two goals almost a minute a part in the second half to put Hopkins up 6-0. The first goal was assisted by Toni Abate while the second was assisted by Bailey Monaco.
• Monaco would get a goal of her own at 63:31 off a pass from Hori to put JHU up 7-0.
• The hat trick would be completed for Santangelo at 71:04 as she took the cross from Alexandra Damron and found the back of the net to give the Blue Jays an eight-goal advantage.
• Riley O’Toole would close out the scoring with an unassisted goal at 82:32 and JHU would take the 9-0 win.
What it Means
• This is the sixth-time Hopkins has scored nine goals in a game.
• The Blue Jays got goals from six different players, while nine different players recorded a point.
• Santangelo is 20th different player to score a hat trick for JHU. O’Toole also registered three goals in a game earlier this season.
• Johns Hopkins has now won 23 straight games against the Owls.
Inside the Box Score
• JHU outshot Bryn Mawr 29-0.
• The Blue Jays took four corner kicks while the Owls took none.
• The Blue Jays return to the field on Wednesday, September 20 for a non-conference game against Rutgers-Camden. The game is scheduled to begin at 7 pm.
- 30 -