#9 JHU Falls to #5 TCNJ 1-0 in OT
• Score: #5 TCNJ 1, #9 Johns Hopkins 0 (OT)
• Records: Johns Hopkins (4-1-1); TCNJ (4-0-0)
• Location: Ewing, NJ (Lions Stadium)
• The Short Story: The #9 Johns Hopkins women’s soccer team lost a heartbreaker to #5 TCNJ, 1-0 in overtime in Ewing, NJ on Wednesday night.
How it Happened
• Neither team could get much going in the first 45 minutes of action.
• Carly Lupton-Smith had an opportunity to score for JHU, but her shot was stopped by Lions goalkeeper Nicole Dipasquale, and a shot by Riley O’Toole went wide of the net.
• O’Toole would get past her defender in the second half, but her shot was deflected wide, keeping the game scoreless.
• TCNJ applied offensive pressure throughout the game, however Bess Kitzmiller was able to keep the ball from crossing the goal-line.
• Jessica Goldman had a great opportunity to put the Lions ahead in the 73rd minute but Kitzmiller made a diving save to keep the game tied.
• Just over a minute into overtime, Lupton-Smith had an excellent chance to give the Blue Jays the victory but her shot went high.
• Christine Levering would get past the Hopkins defense in the 93rd minute and her shot would get past Kitzmiller to give the Lions the 1-0 victory.
What it Means
• JHU is now 5-12-2 against TCNJ.
• That goal was the first allowed by the Blue Jays this season while the Lions have still yet to allow an opponent to score.
Inside the Box Score
• TCNJ outshot Hopkins 22-6 and placed more shots on net at 8-2.
• The Lions took ten corner kicks compared to two for JHU.
• Kitzmiller was excellent in net for the Blue Jays, making seven saves.
• O’Toole led Hopkins with three shots, followed by Lupton-Smith with two.
• The Blue Jays are back in action on Sunday, September 17 as they will open Centennial Conference play against Bryn Mawr. The game is slated to begin at 1pm at Homewood Field.