O'Toole's Hat Trick Leads JHU to 5-0 Win Over Pfeiffer
• Score: Johns Hopkins 5, Pfeiffer 0
• Records: Johns Hopkins (4-0-1); Pfeiffer (1-3-0)
• Location: Raleigh, NC (Meredith College)
• The Short Story: Riley O'Toole notched her first career hat trick as the Johns Hopkins women's soccer team earned a decisive 5-0 win over Pfeiffer on Sunday afternoon at the Espirit DIII National Classic.
How it Happened
• O'Toole laced a shot at 10:20 in the first half that hit the post, however nine seconds later she fired another shot that found the back of the net and gave JHU a 1-0 lead.
• Bailey Monaco placed a pass to O'Toole who put the ball past Falcons goalkeeper Kaley Hyatt for her second goal of the game at 24:33.
• The Blue Jays made it a three goal advantage at 44:21 as Maddy Rocks took a pass from Kristen Nixon and converted for her second goal on the season.
• JHU's fourth goal would secure the hat trick for O'Toole as she took a Kristen Hori pass at 53:13 to put Hopkins up 4-0 in the second half.
• Nixon got a goal of her own at 78:28 to put JHU up five.
• Five goals were more than enough for Hopkins goalkeeper Robyn Lipschultz and the rest of the JHU defense, as the Blue Jays claimed the 5-0 win.
What it Means
• The Blue Jays have gone five straight games without allowing a goal to start the season, which is the longest such streak since the 2008 season.
• Today marked the first-ever meeting between JHU and the Falcons.
• O'Toole's hat trick is the 19th in Johns Hopkins history and first by a freshman since Kim Lane in 2004.
Inside the Box Score
• JHU outshot Pfeiffer 27-6 with 17 of those shots being on net, compared to just three on goal for the Falcons.
• The Blue Jays took five corner kicks while Pfeiffer took just two.
• Lipschultz made three saves in net to earn her second win on the year, while Hyatt made 11 saves and fell to 1-3 on the season.
• O'Toole led all players with seven shots, six of which were on goal.
• Toni Abate, Carly Lupton-Smith, Sophie Murphy and O'Toole were all named to the all-tournament team.
• Hopkins is back in action on Wednesday, September 13 as they will head to New Jersey to take on #12 TCNJ. The game is scheduled to begin at 7:30 pm.
- 30 -