Gettysburg Defeats Johns Hopkins, 5-1
• Score: Gettysburg-5, Johns Hopkins-1
• Records: JHU (7-10, 3-7 CC) • GC (7-8, 5-5 CC)
• Location: Gettysburg PA • Shirk Field at Musselman Stadium
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins field hockey team dropped a 5-1 decision at host Gettysburg Friday afternoon in both teams’ season finales.
How it Happened
• Hannah Fitzgerald staked Gettysburg to a 2-0 lead with two of her three goals early in the first half. She got the Bullets on the board with a reverse shot from the left wing at 11:52. She pushed the home team’s lead to 2-0 with a line drive on a reverse to the middle of the cage at the 17:10-mark.
• Julia Soares made it a 3-0 game at 46:46 when she buried a rebound off a save by senior Zoey Atabek.
• Hopkins ended Ronnie Bridges’ shutout bid at 58:25 with a goal from junior Clare Kavanagh. Off a corner, Kavanagh sent the ball up top to senior Austin Davis, who fired a shot on goal. Kavanagh redirected it at the left post to the right corner to make it 3-1.
• Gettysburg answered with goals from Phillipa Lumsden and Fitzgerald in the final 2:10 to account for the final.
What it Means
• Johns Hopkins ends its season at 7-10 overall and 3-7 in the Centennial Conference. The Blue Jays finish in eighth place in the conference.
• Hopkins is 19-19-1 all-time against Gettysburg with the Bullets winning the last two meetings. The Blue Jays are 5-12-1 against the Bullets on the road.
Inside the Box Score
• Junior Clare Kavanagh scored her team-leading seventh goal of the season in the loss. She entered the season with two career goals.
• Senior Austin Davis notched her eighth career assist and finishes her career with 24 points.
• Freshman Jodie Baris got her first career start and made one save while allowing two goals. Junior Greta Helvie played came on at 19:14 and made four saves without allowing a goal in just over 27 minutes. Senior Zoey Atabek played the final 23:33 and made five saves while allowing three goals.
• Gettysburg outshot Hopkins, 19-11, and had the advantage in corners, 9-7.