Johns Hopkins Earns 10th Win in 3-0 Shutout at McDaniel
• Score: Johns Hopkins-3, McDaniel-0
• Records: JHU (10-3, 6-0 CC) • MC (2-10, 1-6 CC)
• Location: Westminster, MD • Gill Stadium
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins field hockey team posted its fourth straight shutout with a 3-0 win over host McDaniel Wednesday night.
How it Happened
• Senior Morgan Pothast gave the Blue Jays an early 1-0 lead off a penalty corner. Pothast inserted the corner and senior Princess Sutherland fired off a shot that was saved by Paige Ford. Pothast pounced on the rebound and slotted it past Ford at the 10:20-mark.
• Less than three minutes later, Hopkins capitalized on another corner. Pothast sent the corner to the near side to senior Francesca Cali. She collected the ball and lobbed a high shot over the head of Ford and into the goal to stake the Blue Jays to a 2-0 lead.
• Sophomore Katie McErlean capped the scoring at 53:30 when she dribbled in and fired a low laser from just inside the right side of the circle to the far post.
What it Means
• Hopkins improves to 31-11-2 all-time against McDaniel and wins in Westminster for the first time since 2014.
• The Blue Jays reached the 10-win mark for the first time since 2014. The win is Hopkins’ 399th all-time as the Blue Jays are just one win shy of the 400th in school history.
• Hopkins has posted seven shutouts so far this season, the most since 2008 when JHU also posted seven shutouts.
Inside the Box Score
• Pothast tied her season high with three points (1g, 1a) and she also notched her seventh career game-winning goal.
• Senior Greta Helvie made four saves in the cage to earn the shutout. It is her first of the season and fifth shutout of her career. Ford finished with 12 saves in the loss for the Green Terror.
• Hopkins outshot McDaniel, 20-9, and had an 11-9 advantage in corners
For the Record
• Pothast now counts 55 points and 24 goals in her career. She ranks 17th in school history in points and is tied for 13th in goals.
• Hopkins returns to action on Saturday as the Blue Jays host the Swarthmore Garnet. Game time for the Centennial Conference contest is set for 1:00 pm.