• Score: Johns Hopkins-2, Muhlenberg-0
• Records: JHU (9-3, 5-0 CC) • MC (2-8, 1-4 CC)
• Location: Baltimore, MD • Homewood Field
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins field hockey team scored a goal in each half to beat visiting Muhlenberg, 2-0, Friday night.
How it Happened
• Hopkins got on the board just over the midway point of the first half on freshman Valerie Henderson’s first career goal. Junior Grace Hillman took a shot from the top of the circle that was saved by Mules’ goalie Emma Rosenthal. Senior Clare Kavanagh corralled the rebound and slipped a shot past Rosenthal that was tipped in by Henderson at the goal line with 15:17 to play.
• Muhlenberg stepped up its play in the second half but Hopkins withstood the pressure. Sophomore Jodie Baris made all six of her saves in the second and got a defensive save from senior Amy Hallowell. With 18:31 to play in the one-goal game, Stephi Rydgren fired a shot past Baris that seemed destined for the lower right corner. Hallowell came racing in however and swept the ball out of danger to keep the Blue Jays ahead.
• Hopkinsgot some breathing room with 4:43 to play with senior Princess Sutherland’s sixth goal of the season. Kavanagh fired a rocket from the right side of the circle that Rosenthal got her blocker on. The ball went straight up in the air and Sutherland batted it into the open cage.
What it Means
• Hopkins improves to 19-8 all-time against Muhlenberg, including 11-2 at Homewood Field. The Blue Jays also snap a three-game losing streak in the series.
• The Blue Jays are now 6-1 in one-goal games this season.
Inside the Box Score
• Baris finished with six saves to earn her fourth shutout of the season. It is the team’s sixth shutout of 2017.
• Rosenthal finished with seven saves in the loss for the Mules.
• Hopkins outshot Muhlenberg, 19-11, while the visitors had a 7-6 edge in corners.
• Kavanagh is now tied for 20th in school history with 50 career points.
• Hopkins hits the road on Wednesday as the Blue Jays travel to Westminster, MD to take on the McDaniel Green Terror. Game time at Gill Stadium is slated for 7:00 pm.