Kavanagh, Baris Lead Johns Hopkins to 1-0 Win at Haverford
• Score: Johns Hopkins-1, Haverford-0
• Records: JHU (7-3, 3-0 CC) • HC (6-4, 1-2 CC)
• Location: Haverford, PA • Swan Field
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins field hockey team beat host Haverford, 1-0, on senior Clare Kavanagh’s goal on Saturday afternoon in Centennial Conference action.
How it Happened
• Kavanagh scored what proved to be the game-winner at the 29:23-mark of the first half. Fords’ goalie Danielle Rette was forced to play the ball after a bad pass from one of her teammates. Kavanagh was alone in the circle and was able to collect the rebound off Rette’s pads and slot home her team-leading ninth goal of the season.
What it Means
• Hopkins improves to 29-9-1 all-time against Haverford and earns their first win over the Fords since October 17, 2014. This is the first win at Haverford since September 29, 2007. Three of the last four games in the series have been decided by one goal.
• This is the sixth one-goal game for the Blue Jays, who are 5-1 in those games.
Inside the Box Score
• Kavanagh’s nine goals so far this season are a career high and rank second in the Centennial Conference. • Sophomore Jodie Baris made four saves to earn her third shutout of the season. Rette also finished with four saves in the loss for Haverford.
• Each team had seven shots while the Fords had a 10-3 advantage in corners.
• Hopkins returns to action on Wednesday, October 4 against Dickinson. The Centennial Conference contest is slated for a 4:00 pm start at Homewood Field.