Martinez and Morris Win Titles at NIWFA Christmas Invitational
• Location: Madison, NJ • Simon Forum
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins women's fencing team had a successful last event of the 2017 calendar as the Blue Jays won two titles and placed four in the top three at the 2017 NIWFA Christmas Invitational. Sophomore Natalie Martinez led the Sabre squad with her first-place finish while freshman Shaina Morris won the Epee.
How it Happened
• The Sabre squad grabbed first and second-place finishes at the invitational for the first time in program history. Martinez becomes just the second Sabre champion in program history and the first since 2011. In addition, junior Shiaomeng Tse finished in second place.
• This is the second straight year that Hopkins has won the Epee title and the sixth time overall. Sophomore Shivani Bisen, who placed 12th last year, finished in sixth place. Junior Jaynie Criscione (11th) and freshman Michele Lam (T-18th) also placed in the top 20.
• In the Foil, sophomore Katherine Xiang led the Blue Jays with a third-place finish. It is her second career top-three finish and this is the eighth time that JHU has had a fencer in the top three. Junior Rebecca Rosenthal took 11th place, followed by classmate Kiera Wolfe in 12th. Senior Elizabeth Konopacki wrapped up the Epee with a 23rd-place finish.
What it Means
• This is the first time since 2011 and just the third time in program history that Hopkins won multiple titles at the NIWFA Christmas Invitational.
• Hopkins is idle until January when the Blue Jays will participate in the US Fencing NAC in Virginia Beach January 5-8. Hopkins will then host its annual Alumni Meet on January 13.