• Location: State College, PA • The White Building
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins women’s fencing team was the only Division III team at the annual Penn State Garret Open and placed three fencers in the top 20.
How it Happened • Foil
• Sophomore Katherine Xiang led the Foil squad with an 18th place finish out of 30 fencers. She went 1-4 in the first round of pool play but rebounded with a 2-3 record in both the second and third rounds Junior Rebecca Rosenthal placed just two spots lower with a 6-9 record on the day. She won three of her first five bouts and then went 2-3 in the second round of pool play. Rosenthal finished pool play by going 1-4 in the third round.
• Freshman Brooke Stanicki placed 22nd with a 6-9 record. She went 3-2 in the first round and 3-2 in the second. She then lost all five bouts in round three. Senior Elizabeth Konopacki went 0-5 in both the first and second rounds to finish in a tie for 27th place. Junior Kiera Wolfe also went 0-5 in the first two rounds of pool play and finished in a tie for 29th.
How it Happened • Epee
• Freshman Shaina Morris paced the Epee squad as she finished in 22nd place, out of 36 fencers. She went 4-1 in the first round and then 1-4 in the second and third rounds to finish with a 6-9 record.
• Sophomore Shivani Bisen placed 26th as she went 1-4 in both the first and second rounds. Freshman Michele Lan also went 1-4 in the first round but then went 0-5 in the second to finish in 30th place.
• Sophomore Jiawen Zeng and junior Jaynie Criscione each went 0-5 in the first round of pool play to finish in 35th and 36th places, respectively.
How it Happened • Sabre
• Sophomore Erin Chen was the leader of the Sabre squad as she took 12th place, out of 34 fencers, with a 10-6 record. She went 4-2 in each of the first two rounds of pool play and then 2-2 in the third round. In the direct elimination round, she lost to fifth-seeded Patrycja Palczynska of Wayne State in the round of 16.
• Freshman Rebecca Zhou finished in a tie for 23rd with a 5-7 record. She went 2-4 in the first round of pool play and then 3-3 in the second round. Sophomore Alicja Tomaszewski placed 25th as she went 2-9 on the day. She went 1-4 in round one and then 1-5 in round two. Sophomore Natalie Martinez finished in 27th place as she went 3-3 in round one and then 0-6 in round two to finish 3-9.
For the Record
• Xiang’s first win of the day was the 100th of her career as she is the 13th Foilist in program history to reach 100 career wins. She now ranks 12th in program history with 104 career Foil wins.
• Chen moved into sixth place in program history as she now has 133 career Sabre wins.
• Hopkins will travel to Haverford in two weeks for the Dan Arnstein ’09 Invitational.