The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins women’s fencing team closed the 2016-17 season at the NCAA Regional Championships on Saturday, March 11. After a third-place team finish at the NIWFA Championships a week earlier, the Blue Jays had several strong individual showings at the NCAA Regional.
• The performance of the day by a Blue Jay came from freshman Erin Chen, who closed her remarkable rookie season by advancing to the finals and posting a 13-13 record. The eighth-place overall finisher among the 36 entries in the Sabre, Chen was the top Division III finisher and her eighth-place showing is the best by a Blue Jay in this weapon at the NCAA Regional since 2005. She was the only Division III fencer to finish in the top 20 in any weapon.
• Fellow freshman Alicja Tomaszewski advanced to the second round and placed 24th overall.
• Senior Katherine Couch was third among Division entries and 27th overall in a field of 36. She posted a 2-3 record on the day, marks that were matched by junior Mailys Vignoud and senior Nastasia Winey.
Among the Leaders
• Chen’s 113 wins this season are a program record in any weapon and 19 more than the previous record in the Sabre.
• Couch’s 105 wins this season are the most ever by a Hopkins fencer in the Epee and the second most in any weapon. She finishes her career as Hopkins’ all-time leader in career victories (296) in all weapons.
- 30 -