Johns Hopkins Wraps Up Season at NCAA Mid-Atlantic/South Regional
By Jill Guise
Assistant Director of Athletic Communications
• Location: Easton, PA • Kirby Sports Center
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins women’s fencing team wrapped up the season at the 2018 NCAA Mid-Atlantic/South Regional Saturday. Sophomore Erin Chen led the Blue Jays as she placed 18th in the Sabre.
How it Happened
• In the Sabre, Chen went 4-1 in the first round and then 3-2 in the second to advance. In the third round, she went 1-4 to finish with an 8-7 record and an 18th place finish, out of 36 fencers. Sophomore Alicja Tomaszewski won two of five bouts in the first round and then one of five in the second round. She finished with a 3-7 record and placed 23rd to move up one spot from her finish a year ago.
• Sophomore Katherine Xiang led the Foilists with a 21st place finish, out of 36 fencers. She went 3-2 in the first round and followed that with a 1-4 mark in the second. She finished five spots better than she did at last year’s regional. Junior Rebecca Rosenthal finished 1-4 in the first round to place 30th.
• In the Epee, freshman Shaina Morris took 28th place, out of 36 fencers, after going 2-3 in the first round. Sophomore Shivani Bisen won one of five bouts to finish in 34th place. Junior Jaynie Criscione finished in 35th place with an 0-5 record.