Couch Breaks Epee Wins Record at Drew Invitational
|Drew-14, Johns Hopkins-13||Johns Hopkins-22, Queens-5|
|Johns Hopkins-25, Long Island University-2||Johns Hopkins-24, TCNJ-3|
|Johns Hopkins-24, Hunter-3||Johns Hopkins-24, Lafayette-3|
|Temple-21, Johns Hopkins-6||Johns Hopkins-19, Haverford-8|
|Johns Hopkins-16, Fairleigh Dickinson-11||Johns Hopkins-25, Maryland-2|
|Johns Hopkins-17, Brandeis-10|
• Record: JHU (16-13)
• Location: FDU • Hackensack, NJ / Drew • Madison, NJ
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins women’s fencing team picked up nine wins over the weekend at the Fairleigh Dickinson and Drew Invitationals. Senior Katherine Couch won her 261st career bout, becoming the program’s all-time wins leader in the Epee.
How it Happened • FDU Invitational
• Hopkins opened the day with a tough 14-13 loss to Drew as the Rangers grabbed wins in the Foil (7-2) and Epee (6-3). Sophomore Shiaomeng Tse and freshman Erin Chen led the Sabre squad to an 8-1 win by going a combined 6-0.
• Hopkins followed with a 25-2 win over LIU with a sweep of all three weapons. Senior Aviana Duca, junior Elizabeth Konopacki and freshman Katherine Xiang combined for a 9-0 Foil squad win. Sophomore Celine Shanosky went 3-0 to lead the Epee squad (8-1). And in the Sabre, Tse and freshman Alicja Tomaszewski each went 3-0 in the squad’s 8-1 win.
• The Blue Jays defeated the Hunter Hawks, 24-3, once again sweeping the weapons. Konopacki won all three of her bouts as the Foil squad won 7-2. Shanosky, senior Nastasia Winey and freshman Shivani Bisen each went 3-0 in the Epee. Chen and Tomaszewski did the same in the Sabre (8-1).
• Seventh-ranked Temple then beat Hopkins, 21-7. The Epee squad dropped a narrow 5-4 decision with Couch leading the Jays with a pair of wins.
• Hopkins got back in the win column with a 16-11 win over host FDU. Rosenthal won two bouts in a tough 5-4 loss in the Foil. Couch and Shanosky each won two as the Epee squad also lost 5-4. Chen and freshman Natalie Martinez combined for six wins as the Sabre squad cruised to an 8-1 win.
• Hopkins ended the day with a 17-10 win over Brandeis and wins in the Sabre and Epee. Winey and Shanosky each went 3-0 to lead the Epee squad (8-1) and Chen led the Sabre squad (7-2) with the same record.
How it Happened • Drew Invitational
• Hopkins kicked off Sunday with a 22-5 win over Queens. Sophomore Rebecca Rosenthal led the Foil squad (7-2) with a 3-0 mark and Shanosky did the same in the Epee (6-3). Chen, Martinez and Tomaszewski each went unbeaten as the Sabre squad earned a 9-0 win.
• The Blue Jays then beat the Lions of TCNJ, 24-3. Duca, Rosenthal and Xiang went a combined 9-0 for the Foil squad. Bisen and Couch combined for six wins in the Epee (8-1) and Tse won all three of her bouts in the Sabre (7-2).
• JHU followed with another big win, this time over Lafayette (24-3). Xiang won all three of her bouts to lead the Foil squad to a 7-2 win. Couch and Winey went 3-0 a piece as the Epee squad grabbed an 8-1 win. And in the Sabre, Tomaszewski, Chen and sophomore Maggie Vitale combined for nine wins.
• The Blue Jays picked up a 19-8 win over the Haverford Fords with wins in the Epee and Sabre. Shanosky, Winey and Bisen led the Epee squad to a 9-0 win. Chen went 3-0 to lead the Sabre squad (6-3) and Xiang did the same in the Foil (4-5).
• Hopkins ended the weekend with a 25-2 win over Maryland. Rosenthal and Xiang each went 3-0 to pace the Foil squad to a 7-2 win. Couch, Bisen and Shanosky led the Epee squad to another 9-0 win. Martinez, Tse and Vitale did the same for the Sabre squad (9-0).
What it Means
• Couch’s third win versus the Terps was the 261st of her career, breaking Lauren Chinn’s record of 260. Couch now ranks second in school history for wins among all weapons. She is 18 shy of tying Jackie Heath’s (Foil) record of 283 wins.
• Winey moved into sixth on the Epee wins list and now has 144 for her career. Tse now ranks seventh in career Sabre wins with 96.
• Johns Hopkins travels to Pougkeepsie, NY for the 2017 Eastern Women’s Fencing Conference Championship on February 19.