Randolph-Macon Rallies Past Johns Hopkins, 71-64, in Overtime
• Score: Randolph-Macon-71, Johns Hopkins-64 (OT)
• Records: Randolph-Macon (9-1), Johns Hopkins (5-5)
• Location: Ashland, VA (Crenshaw Gym)
• The Short Story: Host Randolph-Macon outscored visiting Johns Hopkins 9-2 in overtime to complete a second-half rally for a 71-64 non-conference women’s basketball victory Saturday evening in Crenshaw Gymnasium.
How it Happened
• Randolph-Macon, which is receiving votes in the D3hoops.com poll, scored the first six points of overtime as a pair of Teal Reynolds layups in the first 90 seconds made it 66-62 and Kelly Williams added a layup with just under two minutes remaining in the extra session to push the RMC lead to 68-62. The Blue Jays got a layup from Lexie Scholtz with 71 seconds on the clock to pull within 68-64, but the ‘Jackets hit enough free throws down the stretch and recorded five of their 14 blocks in overtime to seal the victory.
• The Yellow Jackets rallied from a nine-point halftime deficit by outscoring the Blue Jays 21-10 in the third quarter to grab a 51-49 lead entering the fourth quarter. There, Randolph-Macon built its lead to as many as six at 59-53 on a Williams layup with just under seven minutes remaining.
• The Blue Jays were within one twice down the stretch; first on a Scholtz jumper with 4:26 remaining (59-58) and later on a Sophia Way layup with 3:43 on the clock that made it 61-60.
• Williams hit a free throw with 3:27 left in the fourth quarter to make it 62-60, but the Blue Jay defense was strong down the stretch and the ‘Jackets wouldn’t score again in regulation. A Scholtz jumper with 55 seconds on the clock knotted the game at 62-62 and the Blue Jays had a chance to win at the buzzer, but Way’s 10-footer in traffic was off the mark to send the game to overtime.
• Johns Hopkins led 16-12 after the first quarter and 39-30 at the half largely on the strength of strong shooting from beyond the arc. The Blue Jays hit 6-of-10 triples before halftime, including 5-of-6 in the second quarter, to built their nine-point lead. Scholtz and Madison McGrath both scored 10 points and Way added nine before halftime for Johns Hopkins
What it Means
• This was the first meeting between Johns Hopkins and Randolph-Macon in women’s basketball.
• Johns Hopkins’ five losses this season have come against teams with a combined record of 46-6.
Inside the Box Score
• Scholtz led Johns Hopkins with 18 points, six rebounds and four assists.
• Three other Johns Hopkins players scored in double figures as McGrath (12), Way (11) and Lillian Scott (10) combined for 33 points.
• Rory Cole had a team-high nine rebounds and added six points and four of Johns Hopkins’ 11 blocks in the game.
• The Blue Jays’ 11 blocks were one shy of the program record of 12, which was set against Lebanon Valley on January 25, 1990.
• Williams just missed a triple double for Randolph-Macon as she played all 45 minutes and totaled 22 points, 22 rebounds and nine blocks.
• Hopkins will closed out the non-conference portion of its 2017-18 schedule on January 3 as the Blue Jays will travel to Catholic. The Cardinals are currently 9-2 on the year.
- 30 -