• Score: #22 Muhlenberg – 69 • Johns Hopkins – 64 (OT)
• Records: Johns Hopkins (3-4, 2-2 CC) • #22 Muhlenberg (7-0, 4-0 CC)
• Location: Baltimore, MD (Goldfarb Gym)
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins women’s basketball team fell just short of upsetting #22 Muhlenberg as the Mules were able to pull out the 69-64 victory in overtime on Saturday afternoon at Goldfarb Gym.
How it Happened
• The first half was a back-and-forth affair which featured four ties and six lead changes. Two free throws by Lexie Scholtz with a second remaining in the half sent JHU to the locker room leading by one at 29-28.
• The Mules opened the second half on a 7-1 run to go up 36-30 but the Blue Jays responded with a 9-3 run capped by a Schotz jumper to tie the game at 39. A 9-4 run by Muhlenberg to end the quarter put the visitors on top by a score of 48-43.
• The final six minutes of the fourth quarter saw five lead changes. Scholtz nailed a three at 6:07 to give the Blue Jays a 50-49 advantage, but Carley Hamilton answered with a jumper to put the Mules’ back up by one at 51-50. Scholtz put JHU in the lead once again with a jumper at 5:12 to make the score 52-51. Hamilton regained the lead for Muhlenberg at 1:45 with a jumper, but once again Scholtz got the lead back for Hopkins with a three-pointer with 1:13 remaining in regulation. A free throw by Rachel Plotke brought the Mules to within one with 58 seconds remaining, but Sophia Way drilled a three to give Johns Hopkins a 57-54 advantage. Plotke tried to tie the game with nine seconds left, but Lillian Scott was able to get her hand on the ball for the block. Hamilton corralled the rebound and with six seconds left Plotke hit the three to send the teams to overtime tied at 57.
• Scholtz put Hopkins with a jumper to open the extra quarter but Muhlenberg went on a 7-0 run to take a 64-59 lead. Muhlenberg built up an eight-point advantage and would go on to win the game 69-64.
What it Means
• This was the first overtime game for the Blue Jays this season and the first since February 1st of last season when JHU defeated Gettysburg 84-83. That game was also at Goldfarb.
• Johns Hopkins is now 25-24 all-time against the Mules.
Inside the Box Score
• Scholtz scored a game-high 26 points. That ties her season and career-high which she set this year against Gettysburg. Her 11 rebounds also led the team as she now has three double-doubles this season. She also dished out four assists.
• Scott finished with 15 points and four assists while Madison McGrath scored ten and handed out three helpers.
• Rory Cole finished with ten rebounds, which is the fourth time this season the junior has tallied double-digit rebounds.
• Chelsea Gary also recorded a double-double scoring 13 points and grabbing 12 boards. Plotke led the Mules with 22 points.
• The Blue Jays will head on the road to take on Franklin & Marshall on Wednesday, December 6. Tip time is scheduled for 6 pm.