• Score: Johns Hopkins 78 • Swarthmore 50
• Records: Johns Hopkins (3-3, 2-1 CC) • Swarthmore (1-5, 0-3 CC)
• Location: Swarthmore, PA (Tarble Pavilion)
• The Short Story: A Lillian Scott free throw at 7:22 in the first quarter gave the Johns Hopkins women's basketball team a 7-6 lead over Swarthmore, and the Blue Jays would not trail, nor would the Garnet tie the game from that point forward as Hopkins defeated Swarthmore, 78-50, on Thursday night.
How it Happened:
• Madison McGrath nailed a three in the first quarter to put Hopkins up 21-10, but the Garnet answered with a jumper from Kemi Oladipo to get to within nine. Jess Sweeney responded with a layup to put Hopkins back up by 11 as the Blue Jays outscored the Garnet 29-15 in the first quarter.
• The Blue Jays got their lead as high as 24 as they went up 45-21 on a Scott layup at 3:37 and JHU would take a 47-28 lead into halftime.
• JHU continued to control the game, as Hopkins did not allow the Garnet to get close. Lexi Scholtz had two big steals in the third quarter as both led to Blue Jay points. Swarthmore was able to get the lead down to 17, but that's as close as the Garnet would get as Hopkins claimed the 78-50 win.
What it Means:
• JHU improves to 39-11 all-time against Swarthmore and Hopkins has won the last seven meetings.
Inside the Box Score:
• All five starters for Hopkins scored at least four points in the game.
• Scott finished with a game-high 15 points while Scholtz finished with 12 and McGrath added 11. Maggie Wodicka finished with nine points.
• Scholtz and Scott led JHU with six assists each while Rory Cole finished with eight rebounds.
• Scholtz had three steals in the game while Sophia Way had two steals and added seven points.
• The Blue Jays shot 52.8% from the floor and 69.9% from the free throw line.
• Hopkins only trailed twice in the game, both by one point in the first quarter.
• Johns Hopkins will return home on December 2 as the Blue Jays will host #22 Muhlenberg at 2 pm.