Gettysburg Holds Off Hopkins, 65-51
• Score: Johns Hopkins - 51, Gettysburg - 65
• Records: JHU (12-8 o 11-4 CC) • Gettysburg (17-2, 13-1 CC)
• Location: Gettysburg, PA (Bream Gym)
• The Short Story: Gettysburg outscored the Johns Hopkins women's basketball team 25-12 in the fourth quarter to come away with a 65-51 victory on Wednesday night.
How it Happened
• Lillian Scott gave JHU an early 8-6 lead at 7:23, however, two free throws from Emma Dorshimer tied the game at eight. Kenz Wilkinson put the Blue Jays back up two with a jumper but Dorshimer nailed a three with 52 seconds remaining to give the Bullets a one-point advantage at the end of one.
• Marissa Varnado hit a three early in the second to put JHU up two and Maggie Spitzer gave Hopkins a four-point lead at 9:15 with a layup. A free throw from Emily Gibbons cut the JHU lead to three, but Scott converted a layup to make the score 17-12. A three from Dorshimer and a layup from Ashley Gehrin tied the game at 17 with 6:20 remaining. Madison McGrath put Johns Hopkins up three at 4:40 as she hit from deep but Dorshimer responded with a three to tie the game at 20. JHU went on a 5-0 run capped by a layup from Sophia Way to pull ahead 25-20, but Gehrin hit a three with four seconds remaining in the half as JHU went into the break leading 25-22.
• Gettysburg took a one-point lead with a jumper by Emma Hahner, however, Spitzer put Hopkins up one with a layup at 8:21. The Bullets scored six straight points to pull ahead 34-29 but JHU responded with a 4-0 run of its own to within one at 34-33 with 3:59 remaining in the quarter. A layup from Meredith Brown gave Gettysburg a three-point advantage, but back-to-back buckets from Way and Lexie Scholtz put the Blue Jays up one at 37-36. A layup from Scott put Hopkins up three, however, the Bullets went on a 4-0 run to take a one-point lead at the end of three, 40-39.
• Gettysburg scored the first six points of the fourth to pull ahead by seven and they would go on to take the win by a score of 65-51.
What it Means
• JHU leads the all-time series 40-33, but the Bullets and have won the previous three meetings. Hopkins last win against Gettysburg was an 84-83 OT win on February 1, 2017, at Goldfarb.
• Way has scored at least ten points in seven straight games, while Scott has scored in double-digits in six of the last seven games.
Inside the Box Score
• Scott led the Blue Jays with 17 points while Way added ten points.
• Rory Cole led Hopkins with 11 boards, as the junior has grabbed double-digit rebounds in four straight games.
• Dorshimer led all scorers with 30 points in the contest.
• Johns Hopkins returns home for a 7 pm matchup against Franklin & Marshall on Tuesday, February 6.