Cole's Career Night Leads JHU Past McDaniel, 57-47
• Score: Johns Hopkins - 57, McDaniel - 47
• Records: Johns Hopkins (11-7, 10-3 CC) • McDaniel (8-10, 6-7 CC)
• Location: Baltimore, MD (Goldfarb Gym)
• The Short Story: Rory Cole grabbed a career-high 18 rebounds and scored a career-high 15 points as the Johns Hopkins women’s basketball team earned a 57-47 victory over McDaniel on Thursday night.
How it Happened
• The Green Terror opened up the game on a 6-0 run before a three from Sophia Way ended the McDaniel run. Maggie Wodicka’s layup with 45 seconds remaining in the quarter brought Hopkins to within one at 11-10.
• Cole gave the Blue Jays their first lead of the game with a layup early in the second quarter. Liv Storer put McDaniel back up one with a jumper, however, back-to-back layups from Cole gave JHU a three-point advantage. Johns Hopkins went on a 7-0 run to pull away 27-18 with 1:56 remaining in the half. A three from Halle Burgess stopped the JHU run and brought the Green Terror to within six, but Way nailed a three to put the Blue Jays back up nine at 30-21. Marley Burgess converted another three to make the score 30-24 as the teams headed to the locker rooms with JHU up six.
• A 9-0 run by McDaniel put the Green Terror in the lead 35-32 at 5:52 in the third, but Madison McGrath converted from deep to tie the game. Back-to-back buckets from Lexie Scholtz and Maggie Spitzer put JHU up 41-37 and after two free-throws from Caroline Ward, Hopkins scored the next six points to go up by eight.
• Hopkins got its lead up as high as 14 points in the fourth as the Blue Jays won the game by a final score of 57-47.
What it Means
• Hopkins has won the last four meetings against the Green Terror, however, McDaniel still holds a slight edge in the all-time series at 42-40.
• Way has made a three-pointer in 11 straight games.
• The Blue Jays have now won at least 10 Centennial Conference games for the 25th time (Centennial Conference play began in 1993-94).
• This is the 11th time this season the Blue Jays have held their opponent to under 60 points and the third time they have held an opponent to 50 points or less.
Inside the Box Score
• Cole finished the game with a team-high 18 rebounds and was second on the team with 15 points. Way led Hopkins with 17 points, marking the 12th time this season she has scored at least ten points in a game.
• Lillian Scott handed out four assists in the game while Scholtz finished with three helpers.
• The Blue Jays will head out on the road for a matchup against Ursinus on Saturday, January 27th. Tip time is scheduled for 3 pm.