#17 Men's Cross Country Finishes 8th at Pre-Nationals
• Score: Johns Hopkins 8th of 38 teams (237 points)
• Location: Elsah, IL (Principia College, Principia Cross Country Course)
• The Short Story: The 17th-ranked Johns Hopkins men's cross country team placed three runners in the top 50 and placed eighth in a field of 38 teams at the 2017 Pre-Nationals at Principia College. The course will serve as the site of the 2017 NCAA Division III Championships on November 18.
How it Happened
• Senior Panth Patel was Hopkins' top finisher as he placed 19th in a time of 25:35.21. In a tight pack of runners who finished in a 15-second span and placed between 15th and 29th Patel was fifth among that group to earn his top-20 finish.
• A pair of juniors - Scott Pourshalchi and Ollie Hickson - rounded out the Blue Jays' top three scoring runners as Pourshalchi clocked in at 25:50.35 to place 34th, while Hickson crossed in 25:56.08 and finished 42nd.
• In a field of 354 competitors, the Blue Jays earned their eighth-place when freshman Jakob Pollack placed 69th (26:17.64) and classmate Patrick Dye was 81st (26:26.14).
Breaking Down the Results
• The Blue Jays finished just ahead of 10th-ranked Calvin (257 points), 15h-ranked Wartburg (265) and 13th-ranked Wisconsin-Eau Claire (331). Ninth-ranked Christopher Newport was just ahead of the Blue Jays in seventh place with 224 points.
• Johns Hopkins heads into the championship portion of the 2017 season as the Blue Jays will travel to Gettysburg College on October 29 for the Centennial Conference Championships. The Blue Jays last won the Centennial Conference title in 2013.