Blue Jays Finish 10th at Doug Parker Invitational
SPRINGFIELD, MA – Senior 141 Lucas Escobar placed fourth and the Johns Hopkins wrestling team placed 10th at the Doug Parker Invitational on Saturday. The Blue Jays earned 51 points to grab their 10th-place showing.
Wesleyan placed first with 125 points, while Southern Maine (116 points), Springfield (106), Coast Guard (104.5) and Centenary (99) rounded out the top five.
Escobar opened with a first-period pin of Dustin Harris of Cortland and then scored a 6-2 decision over Shane Ross of Wesleyan in the quarterfinals. After falling in the semifinals, Escobar dropped an 11-3 decision to Austin Shorey of Southern Maine in the third-place match.
Other Top Performances
• Senior 149 Connor Joyce wrestled the maximum number of matches allowed in one day (6) and posted a 4-2 record. His only two losses came to the eventual third and sixth-place finishers.
• Junior 184 Isaac Morales also capped at the maximum number of matches and went 4-2. Two of his four wins came by pin, including a 45-second fall in his first match in the consolation bracket.
• Freshman 157 Dominick Reyes went 2-2 at 157 with one of his two losses coming by a score of 3-2 to eventual champion Christian Gosch of Coast Guard.
• Freshman 125 Jeremy Berger dropped his first match, but won two straight in the consolation bracket and finished 2-2 on the day.
• Junior Dane Morgan went 2-2 at 165 with his two wins coming by a first-period pin and a technical fall.
• Junior Miles Gilliam went 2-2 at 174; included was a 58-second pin in his first match and a second-period pin in his first consolation round match.
• Freshman Henri Behaeghel dropped his first match, but then scored two straight wins before being eliminated. His first collegiate victory came with a first-period pin in his first match in the consolation bracket.
The Blue Jays will return to action on Saturday, December 2 at the New Standard Corp Invitational at York (PA).
- 30 -