Hopkins Wins Battle of the Blue Jays, 24-21, at Elizabethtown
By Ernie Larossa
Associate AD/Director of Athletic Communications
• Score: Johns Hopkins-24, Elizabethtown-21
• Records: Johns Hopkins (8-3), Elizabethtown (6-6)
• Location: Elizabethtown, PA (Thompson Gymnasium)
• The Short Story: In the Battle of the Blue Jays, it was the visiting Johns Hopkins wrestling team topping home-standing Elizabethtown, 24-21, as JHU used three victories by fall to fuel a win in the final dual meet of the season for both teams.
Vallis, Reyes, Gilliam Score Wins by Fall
Senior Christian Vallis (125), freshman Dominick Reyes (157) and junior Miles Gilliam (174) all picked up wins by fall to provide three of JHU's five wins and 18 of the team's 24 team points in the victory.
Vallis opened the match with a second-period pin of Austin Jones to give JHU an early 6-0 lead with a fall in 4:35. The match was tied at 9-9 when Reyes stepped on the mat at 157. He needed nine seconds less than Vallis to give JHU its second win by fall as he decked Chad Rosenbergr in 4:26 to give JHU a 15-9 lead. The pin was Reyes' team-high 11th of the season.
After Etown had pulled within 15-13 with a win by major decision at 165, it was Gilliam scoring his ninth fall of the season with a pin of Dan Jerrems in 2:42 at 174 to push the lead out to 21-13.
Morales, Cavallo Continue Winning Ways
While the three wins by fall were crucial to Johns Hopkins winning the match, it was a pair of decisions that added six additional points in the narrow victory.
Junior Ricky Cavallo methodically knocked off Josh McLaughlin at 133, 7-1, and Morales added Hopkins' final win of the night, a 5-4 decision over Quinn Ruble at 184, to secure what proved to be the decisive points.
The win for Morales was his 15th in a row and improves his record this season to 33-9. His 15-match winning streak is the longest by a Johns Hopkins wrestler since Paul Bewak won 22 in a row during the 2013-14 season.
What it Means
• Johns Hopkins finishes the dual-meet portion of the season with a record of 8-3. The team's .727 winning percentage this season is the highest for a JHU wrestling team since 1968-69, when the Blue Jays also finished 8-3.
Inside the Box Score
• The pin for Vallis is the 19th bonus-point victory of his career. • Morales is now just three wins shy of Paul Bewak's JHU single-season record for wins in a season (36 / 2013-14).
• The Blue Jays will return to action on February 23-24 when they compete in the NCAA East Regional Championships.
Johns Hopkins-24, Elizabethtown-21
125 - Christian Vallis (JHU) pinned Austin Jones (EC), 4:35
133 - #NR/CT Ricky Cavallo (JHU) dec. Josh McLaughlin (EC), 7-1
141 - #5/6 Joe Ghione (EC) pinned Lucas Escobar (JHU), 4:50
149 - Dan Smith (EC) dec. Connor Joyce (JHU), 9-7 (SV1)
157 - #NR/HM Dominick Reyes (JHU) pinned Chad Rosenberger (EC), 4:26
165 - Chris Kummerer (EC) maj. dec. Nathan Wertheimer (JHU), 9-1
174 - Miles Gilliam (JHU) pinned Dan Jerrems (EC), 2:42
184 - #NR/HM Isaac Morales (JHU) dec. Quinn Ruble (EC), 5-4
197 - Rocco Hladney (EC) tech fall Karl Tayeb (JHU), 22-6 (6:03)
285 - Eric Eckstein (EC) dec. Henri Behaeghel (JHU), 4-2
165 Dane Morgan (JHU) pinned Eli Perry (EC), 6:12
- 30 -