• Score: Johns Hopkins-11, Navy-10 (3OT)
• Records: JHU (15-12, 1-6 MAWPC), USNA (8-13, 1-7 MAWPC)
• Location: Baltimore, MD • Newton White Aquatic Center
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins water polo team got five goals from sophomore Finn Banks as the Blue Jays beat the visiting Navy Midshipmen, 11-10, in triple overtime Saturday night.
How it Happened
• Navy struck first, scoring on a man-up situation just 32 seconds in. Banks answered with a pair of goals exactly two minutes apart to give Hopkins the lead at the 3:29-mark. The teams then traded goals and were tied 3-3 at the end of the first.
• Freshman Nico Ivanov opened the second-quarter scoring and gave Hopkins a 4-3 lead with 6:41 to go. Junior Ryan Masi scored less than a minute later and the Blue Jays led by two. The Mids cut the deficit in half at the 4:48-mark, but Ivanov responded with his second of the quarter to make it a 6-4 game at the half.
• Just like the first quarter, Navy scored first in the quarter and it was a one-goal game. But 19 seconds later, sophomore Carter Young scored to put Hopkins up 7-5. The Mids would score twice before the end of the quarter to make it a 7-7 game after three.
• Banks scored a man-up goal just 47 seconds into the fourth quarter to put JHU back on top. The lead didn’t last long however as Navy tied it up at the 4:59-mark. The Mids then took the lead, 9-8, 41 seconds later for their first lead since the opening minute of the game.
• Banks tied the game, for the sixth time and force overtime, with his fourth of the night at 1:51. Junior Josh Kurtz then put Hopkins on top, 10-9, at 2:04 in the first overtime. In the second, Navy got a man-up goal with 1:08 to play to force sudden-death overtime. Banks came up big again, scoring just 23 seconds into the third overtime to win it for the Blue Jays.
What it Means
• Hopkins picks up its first league win of the year as the Blue Jays improve to 8-51 all-time against the Mids.
• This is the Blue Jays’ second overtime game this season and second overtime win.
• Hopkins returns to action on Saturday, October 28 as the Blue Jays travel to Lewisburg, PA to take on the Bucknell Bison. The Mid-Atlantic Water Polo Conference game is slated for an 11:00 am start.