Bresnahan Earn's 400th Win as Hopkins Beats La Verne, 17-13
• Score: Johns Hopkins-17, La Verne-13
• Records: JHU (11-8) • ULV (4-10)
• Location: Claremont, CA • Haldeman Pool
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins water polo team beat La Verne, 17-13, to give head coach Ted Bresnahan his 400th career win on Saturday night.
How it Happened
• Hopkins jumped on top of La Verne early with goals from senior Jono Gillette and junior Josh Kurtz in the opening 2:06. Tyler Bennett got the Leopards on the board at 5:33 to cut the deficit in half. Evan Monterroso followed with a goal to tie the game with 1:07 to go in the quarter.
• Junior Giorgio Cico answered with just 18 ticks on the clock to give Hopkins a 3-2 lead after one. Kurtz pushed the lead to two with a man-up goal 53 seconds into the second. Rey Julian Castillo responded with a man-up goal of his own to make it 4-3 midway through the quarter.
• Junior Ryan Masi and sophomore Finn Banks came back with a pair of goals in a 62-second span to push the lead to three. Jason Russum scored with 1:17 to play in the quarter to make it 6-4, but a man-up goal from junior Andreas Katsis pushed the lead back to three.
• Castillo scored the final goal of the second and the first of the third quarter to pull the Leopards within one. Gillette scored just 13 seconds later to spark a 4-1 Hopkins run that saw the Jays push out to an 11-7 lead with 4:45 to play in the quarter.
• La Verne kept battling, answering with a 3-1 spurt to pull back within two just two and a half minutes later. Gillette would have the final say of the quarter when he scored at 1:53 to give Hopkins a 13-10 lead at the break.
• Castillo once again opened the quarter with a goal and the lead was just two with 7:45 to play. Kurtz answered 54 seconds later and sparked a 4-1 Blue Jay run that spanned more than five minutes and secured the win. Rex Sample would get one more for the Leopards to account for the 17-13 final.
What it Means
• Hopkins wins its third straight and improves to 11-8 on the season. JHU is now 4-1 all-time against La Verne and has won each of the last four meetings.
Inside the Box Score
• Kurtz led the Blue Jays with six points on three goals and three assists. Banks and Gillette each had a hat trick and four points in the win.
• Cico added two goals and two assists, while Katsis also had a pair of goals. • Senior John Wilson finished with six saves to earn the win.
For the Record
• Bresnahan is the winningest coach in program history with his 400 wins. He is just the second active coach at Johns Hopkins with 400 or more wins, joining head baseball coach Bob Babb.
• Hopkins returns to the East Coast and will participate in both the Harvard Invitational and the CWPA Division III Eastern Championship next weekend in Cambridge, MA.