Redlands Rallies to Defeat Johns Hopkins
• Score: Redlands-11, Johns Hopkins-10
• Records: JHU (8-8) • UR (6-12)
• Location: Claremont, CA • Haldeman Pool
• The Short Story: Redlands rallied to defeat the Johns Hopkins water polo team, 11-10, on Friday afternoon at the Gary Troyer Memorial Tournament.
How it Happened
• Hopkins jumped out to a 4-1 lead by the end of the first quarter with goals from four different players.
• Freshman Nico Ivanov opened the second quarter with a goal just 17 seconds in to stake the Blue Jays to a 5-1 lead. The Bulldogs answered with a pair of goals just 17 seconds apart to cut the score to 5-3. • Hopkins responded with man-up goals from senior Jono Gillette and junior Josh Kurtz to push out to a 7-3 lead with 2:12 to play in the half. Redlands kept battling and got goals from Aaron White and Grant Curry in a 33-second span to make it a two-goal game. Senior Giorgio Cico would send the Blue Jays into the half with a three-goal lead as he beat the buzzer with his second goal of the game.
• The Bulldogs scored the first two goals of the third quarter to pull within one at the 5:16-mark. Sophomore Finn Banks sandwiched a pair of goals around a strike from Redlands’ Ilan Dayan to give Hopkins a 10-8 lead with 33 ticks remaining in the period. Max Taylor would have the final say of the quarter, scoring with 18 seconds left to make it a one-goal game once again.
• Redlands tied the game for the first time since midway through the first quarter with a Max Taylor goal at 3:24. Curry then gave the Bulldogs their first lead of the game with 30 seconds to go and they held on for the win.
What it Means
• Hopkins falls to 3-10 all-time against Redlands in the first meeting between the two since 2015.
Inside the Box Score
• Banks led the Blue Jays with three goals while Cico had a game-high four points (2g, 2a).
• Senior John Wilson finished with 13 saves, two assists and two steals.
• Hopkins is back in the pool at 10:15 pm on Friday night to take on host Claremont-Mudd-Scripps.