• Score: Wagner-20, Johns Hopkins-12
• Records: JHU (8-6, 0-4 MAWPC) • WC (8-4, 2-0 MAWPC)
• Location: Baltimore, MD • Newton White Aquatic Center
• The Short Story: Visiting Wagner got a game-high five goals from Jasmin Kolasinac in a 20-12 win over the Johns Hopkins water polo team Saturday night.
How it Happened
• Wagner jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the game’s opening five minutes. Junior Ryan Masi ended the run and got Hopkins on the board with 1:49 to play in the quarter. Junior Josh Kurtz followed with the first of his three goals 51 seconds later to make it a 5-2 game at the end of the opening quarter.
• The Seahawks scored four straight goals to open the second quarter to push out to a 9-2 lead. Sophomore Finn Banks scored a man-up goal at 5:02 to stop the run, but Aaron Leighton answered for Wagner and it was a 10-3 game. Junior Andreas Katsis got one back for Hopkins but the visitors responded with a pair of goals in the final 20 seconds of the half to go up 12-4.
• Kurtz opened the third quarter with another man-up goal but once again the Seahawks came back with a pair to take a 14-5 lead. Banks and Katsis scored back-to-back goals to cut the deficit to seven with 45 seconds remaining in the quarter. But Wagner had another run left in it, scoring five unanswered to push the lead to 19-7 by the 5:44-mark of the fourth. Kurtz got his third of the game 12 seconds later to spark a 5-1 Blue Jay run to end the game.
What it Means
• Hopkins falls to 1-2 against Wagner in a series that began in 2016.
Inside the Box Score
• Kurtz led the Blue Jays with three goals while Banks and Katsis each had a pair.
• Junior Giorgio Cico handed out a pair of assists. Seniors Connor Johnson and Jono Gillette and sophomore Carter Young each had one-goal, one-assist performances.
• Hopkins makes the short trip to Annapolis to take on Navy on Sunday at 5:00 pm.