Johns Hopkins Cruises Past La Salle, 16-5
• Score: Johns Hopkins-16, La Salle-5
• Records: JHU (4-0) • LSU (0-4)
• Location: Annapolis, MD • Lejeune Hall
• The Short Story: Ten different Blue Jays scored as the Johns Hopkins water polo team defeated La Salle, 16-5, to close out the Navy Labor Day Open with a 4-0 record.
How it Happened
• Junior Ryan Masi and freshman John Murphy gave Hopkins a quick 2-0 lead in the match. La Salle then sandwiched a pair of goals around a strike by junior Giorgio Cico and the lead was 3-2 with 1:44 to play in the first.
• The Blue Jays responded with six straight goals in a run that spanned just 5:45. Freshman Olin Shipstead led the Blue Jays in the run, scoring the first and sixth goals that saw Hopkins go up 9-2 at the half.
• The Explorers ended the run with a goal from Trevin Zweifel at 7:05 in the third quarter. That was their first goal in more than 10 minutes. Shipstead answered with a goal just 23 seconds later that kick-started another Blue Jay run. This run saw the Jays score five unanswered and seven of the last nine goals. Five different Jays scored during the run, with senior Jono Gillette and freshman Stephen Schmidt scoring two each.
What it Means
• Johns Hopkins improves to 4-0 on the season. The Blue Jays have now started the season 4-0 for the fourth time in the last six seasons.
• Head coach Ted Bresnahan is closing on the 400-win mark as he now has 393 career wins.
• Today’s game was the first-ever meeting between the Blue Jays and the Explorers.
Inside the Box Score
• Shipstead scored a game and career high three goals while also handing out an assist and grabbing two steals. Schmidt also had four points (2g, 2a) and two steals.
• Gillette added three points (2g, 1a) and three steals.
• Senior John Wilson made 13 saves and had three steals in the win.
• Johns Hopkins returns to the pool next weekend at the Princeton Invitational. Hopkins will take on host and 11th-ranked Princeton on Friday, September 8 at 9:00 pm.