Johns Hopkins Rolls to 13-1 Win over Washington & Jefferson
• Score: Johns Hopkins-13, Washington & Jefferson-1
• Records: JHU (1-0) • WJC (0-10)
• Location: Annapolis, MD • Lejuene Hall
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins water polo team scored the game's first nine goals in a 13-1 win over Washington & Jefferson Saturday morning at the Navy Labor Day Open.
How it Happened
• Johns Hopkins jumped onto of Washington & Jefferson, needing just 80 seconds to take a 3-0 lead in the season-opener. Junior Andreas Katsis struck first, scoring just 20 seconds in off a helper from senior co-captain Josh Kurtz. Junior Ryan Masi doubled the Blue Jays lead just 39 seconds later with senior co-captain Giorgio Cico lending a hand. Katsis added his second of the opening quarter at the 6:40-mark to stake the Blue Jays to that three-goal lead.
• Sophomore Andres White pushed the lead to four with his first of the season with 4:07 to play in the quarter. Katsis and freshman John Murphy followed with back-to-back man-up goals and Hopkins took a 6-0 lead into the break.
• The pace slowed in the remaining three quarters as the teams combined for just eight goals in the final 24 minutes.
• Senior Ryan Greenwald scored to end a nearly six-minute scoring drought with 2:56 to play in the half and make it 7-0 Hopkins. Kurtz then scored as time expired on an assist from Cico to make it an eight-goal game at the half.
• After not surrendering a goal on a Presidents' man-up opportunity, sophomore Finn Banks answered with a Blue Jay goal at 6:11. Nicholas Spehar finally got Washington & Jefferson on the board with 2:38 to play in the third. Kurtz responded with his second of the game to make it 10-1 at the end of the third.
• Freshman Oscar Goodell opened the fourth-quarter scoring with his first career goal at 4:56. Freshman Nico Ivanov then scored back-to-back goals in the final three minutes to round out the 13-1.
What it Means
• Hopkins is now 16-11 all-time in season openers under head coach Ted Bresnahan. The Blue Jays are 14-2 in their last 16 season openers.
• The Blue Jays improve to 16-0 all-time against the Presidents and this is the Jays' second straight double-digit win in the series.
• Hopkins shut out an opponent for a quarter for the first time since October 23, 2016 when JHU kept San Jose State scoreless in the fourth quarter. This was the first time Hopkins had shut out an opponent for consecutive quarters since November 7, 2015 in an 8-4 win over Bucknell.
Inside the Box Score
• Katsis (3g), Cico (3a), Banks (2g, 1a) and Kurtz (2g, 1a) all had a game-high three points for the Blue Jays. In total, 12 different players notched at least one point for Hopkins.
• Katsis' hat trick was the seventh of his career and first since October 1, 2016. For Cico, this was his 14th game with three or more assists in his career.
• Four Blue Jay freshmen tallied at least one point in their career debut -- Murphy, Ivanov, Goodell and Tim Peterson.
• Senior co-captain John Wilson and junior Spencer Witte shared time in the cage. Wilson made three saves and did not surrender a goal in two quarters. Witte also made three saves and had one steal while allowing just one goal in two quarters.
• Hopkins takes on Gannon at 1:30 pm in the second game of the Navy Labor Day Open.