Kim Advances to Quarterfinals of ITA Southeast Regional
• Location: Fredericksburg, VA • Battleground Athletic Complex
• The Short Story: Sophomore Cody Kim led the Johns Hopkins men’s tennis team as he advanced to the quarterfinals of the championship singles draw at the ITA Southeast Regional.
How it Happened • Championship Singles Draw
• Kim, seeded ninth, opened with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Tom Bickel (Carnegie Mellon). He then defeated Peter Schmidt (Dickinson) 6-1, 6-3 to advance to the round of 16. Kim came from behind to beat fourth-seeded Matthew Miles 6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-4. In the quarterfinals, he fell to fifth-seeded David Reed (Christopher Newport) 6-3, 7-5.
• Kang won his first match 6-4, 6-2 over Mickey Schindler (Muhlenberg). He then beat ninth-seeded Harry Shepherd (Washington & Lee) 6-4, 7-6 (4). In the round of 16, Kang lost to top-seeded Daniel Levine 7-5, 6-3.
• Freshman Vishnu Joshi, seeded fifth, dropped his opening round match to Kailas Shekar (Carnegie Mellon) 6-4, 6-4. In the consolation draw, he beat Artyom Nabokin 6-1, 6-2 and then Joshua Moskovitz 6-1, 6-4.
• Sophomore Austin Gu lost his first match to Colt Williamson (Salisbury) 6-2, 6-2. In the consolation draw, Gu won on a walkover against Jackson Guilford (Christopher Newport). He then lost to Jung Jung (Swarthmore) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (8).
• Freshman Eric Yoo, seeded ninth, opened with a 7-5, 6-2 win over Nicholas Calzolano (Carnegie Mellon). He then defeated Joseph Brown (Mary Washington) 6-2, 6-3. His run ended in the round of 16 in a 6-0, 7-6 (6) loss to third-seeded Mark Fallati (Swarthmore).
• Senior David Perez, seeded fifth, won his first match 6-2, 6-1 over Stefan Hein (Salisbury). He then beat Ryland Bird (Mary Washington) 7-5, 3-6, 6-1. Perez fell in the round of 16 to Thibault Vernier (Swarthmore) 6-3, 6-4.
How it Happened • Blue 1 Singles Draw
• Sophomore Nathan Safran opened with a come-from-behind 5-7, 6-4, 6-3 win over Patrick MacLean (Salisbury). In the quarterfinals, he defeated Tye Loan (Washington & Lee) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3. Safran then lost to Moses Hutchison (Mary Washington) 6-2, 7-5.
• Freshman Alex Matisse beat Michael Herman (Goucher) 6-4, 7-5 in the first round. He then fell to Cole Tecce (Mary Washington), the eventual champion, 7-5, 6-3.
How it Happened • Championship Doubles Draw
• Matisse and junior Colin Muraika were seeded fifth and earned a bye into the round of 32. They then lost to Jack Rothman and William Samuels (Franklin & Marshall), 8-5.
• Kim and Perez were also seeded fifth in the draw and earned a first-round bye. In their first match, they beat David Kong and Kevin Yan (Haverford), 8-5. The pair then lost to ninth-seeded Noah Tapp and Mitchell Thomas (Washington & Lee), 8-2, in the round of 16.
• Gu and Koshi opened with an 8-3 win over Baxter Carter and Erik Moulton (Randolph-Macon). They then lost to third-seeded Michael Fleming and Miles, 8-2.
• Kang and sophomore Joseph Cartledge were seeded second and had a first-round bye. In the round of 32, they lost to Derek Hagino and Patrick Hughes, 8-5.
How it Happened • Blue 1 Doubles Draw
• Safran and Yoo won their first-round match, 8-2, over Nabokin and Jonathan White (Wilkes). They then defeated Mason Groff and Peter Shields (Ursinus), 8-6, in the quarterfinals. Their run ended in the semifinals with loss to Clark Cummings and William Driskill (Hampden-Sydney).