• Location: Baltimore, MD • McClure Tennis Courts
• The Short Story: Eight members of the Johns Hopkins men’s tennis team opened the fall at the annual Loyola Invitational this past weekend.
How it Happened
• The invitational was played as a “Points of a Compass” tournament where two players formed a team and played four matches. The teams squared off in doubles before playing two singles matches. The team that won the best-of-three round advanced. The losing pair moved to the consolation bracket. Other schools participating were host Loyola, Mount St. Mary’s and Morgan State.
• Junior Colin Muraika and freshman Alex Matisse won their first round over Morgan State’s Oguzhan Ceylan and Sebastian Lopez, 2-1. The Bears won the doubles match, 6-4, to grab the first point. In singles, Muraika beat Lopez 1-6, 7-5, 1-0 (4) and Matisse defeated Ceylan 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (3) to advance.
• In the quarterfinals, Muraika and Matisse won 3-0 over Parth Sharma and Evan Hine of Mount St. Mary’s. The Blue Jay pair won 7-6 (5) in doubles. Matisse then beat Sharma 6-3, 6-3 while Muraika beat Hine 6-2, 6-1 in singles.
• In the semifinals, the duo beat the mixed pair of Nihit Rawal (Morgan State) and Charlie Shanker (Loyola). Hopkins grabbed the doubles point with a 6-3 win. Matisse then defeated Rawall 6-2, 6-2 while Shanker beat Muraika 7-6 (4), 1-1 (default).
• In the championship, Arjun Ramakrishnan and Lucas Krusinski (Morgan State) topped the Hopkins duo, 3-0. The Bears won 6-1 in doubles to grab the early lead. Ramakrishnan defeated Matisse 2-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10) and Krusinski beat Muraika 6-4, 6-1.
• Freshmen Robby Simon and Matt Laurie lost their first-round match to C.J. Cash and Reid Burch of Loyola. The Greyhound pair won the doubles match, 6-4. Cash then beat Simon 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (6) while Laurie earned his first career win, 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (9), over Burch.
• In the consolation quarterfinals, Simon and Laurie lost 2-1 to Brandon Wortkotter and Zach Burau of Mount St. Mary’s. The Mount won the doubles point, 6-3. Simon then earned a point for Hopkins with a 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (7) win over Wortkotter. Burau beat Laurie 6-7 (2), 6-4, 1-0 (8) to take the win for the Mount.
• Simon and Laurie then fell 3-0 to Loyola’s Brian Hoffarth and Kyle Gower. The Greyhound pair took the doubles point with a 6-4 win. Hoffarth then beat Simon 6-1, 6-2 and Gower defeated Laurie 7-6 (3), 1-6, 1-0 (5). The pair ended the weekend with a win over Loyola’s Colin Kanuch and Jack Shortell in the 15th-place match. They won the doubles point by a 6-3 score. Simon beat Kanuch 6-1, 6-0 and Laurie beat Shortell 6-2, 6-3.
• Sophomore Charlie Humes and freshman Bryan Chu finished in 10th place. The pair lost their first-round match to Jackson Wood and Jean Armstrong (Mount St. Mary’s) 3-0. The Mount took the doubles point with a 6-1 win. Wood then beat Chu 6-4, 7-5 and Armstrong defeated Humes 6-0, 6-3.
• Humes and Chu then beat Peter Kelley and Rodrigo Moreno of Loyola, 3-0. The Blue Jays earned the doubles point with a 6-3 win. Chu beat Kelley 6-1, 6-2 for his first career singles win and Humes beat Moreno 6-0, 6-0. They followed with a win over Chris Lindsey and Sean McNulty (Mount St. Mary’s). Hopkins took the doubles point, 6-4. Chu then beat Lindsey 6-2, 6-2 in singles. No score was reported for the Humes-McNulty match.
• In the ninth-place match, Ceylan and Lopez beat Humes and Chu. They won the doubles point 6-2 and Lopez beat Humes 6-1, 6-0. No score was reported for the Ceylan-Chu match.
• Freshman Jack Hogan and sophomore Nathan Safran placed seventh. The pair won their first-round over Kanuch and Shortell, 3-0. The Blue Jay duo won the doubles point, 6-0. Hogan then beat Kanuch 6-3, 6-0 to earn his first win and Safran beat Shortell 6-2, 6-2.
• Hogan and Safran then lost to Ramakrishnan and Krusisnki in the quarterfinals. The Bear duo won the doubles point, 6-2. Ramakrishnan beat Hogan 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (5) and Safran beat Krusinski 1-6, 6-2, 1-0 (5). Hogan and Safran then lost to Wood and Armstrong, 2-1. The Morgan State pair won the doubles point, 6-4. In singles, Wood beat Hogan 6-2, 6-4 while Safran beat Armstrong 6-2, 6-3.
• In the seventh-place match, Hogan and Safran defeated Sharma and Hine, 2-1. The Blue Jay duo won the doubles point, 6-2. Sharma grabbed a point for the Mount with a 5-7, 6-1, 1-0 (5) win over Hogan. Safran clinched the win with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Hine.
• Hopkins travels to Fredericksburg, VA for the annual ITA Southeast Regional. The tournament is scheduled for September 29 to October 1.