• Scores: Johns Hopkins 4th (440 points)
• Location: Princeton, NJ • DeNunzio Pool
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins men’s swim team finished in fourth place at the 2017 Big Al Open hosted by Princeton. The lone non-Division I team in the eight-team field, the Blue Jays grabbed 440 points over the course of the three-day meet. Princeton won the meet with 12919.5 points, followed by Brown (610) and Columbia (488).
Quoting Coach Armstrong
• “We had several great swims and the team put up some nation-leading times. The group showed us where we are in the season and while know there is a lot of hard work to look forward to, it was rewarding to have such a successful weekend.”
• Hopkins opened the final session with a pair of swimmers in the 1650 Free. Junior Erik Bostrom took 12th in 15:55.89 and freshman Riley Mears placed 18th in 16:06.51. Both times are NCAA B cuts.
• Four Blue Jays then placed in the finals of the 200 Back. Junior Emile Kuyl led the way with a second-place finish in the B final, 10th overall, in 1:49.10. Freshman Matt McGough placed sixth in the B final with a time of 1:50.03. Senior Jan Hagemeister followed in eighth place in the B final in 1:53.99. Senior Peter Conzola finished in fifth in the C final as he touched in 1:51.08. Both Kuyl and McGough posted NCAA B cuts in the finals and Hagemeister did so in the prelims.
• Sophomore Brandon Fabian grabbed third place in the 100 Free and just missed breaking the school record in the event. He finished in 44.29 to miss Dylan Coggin’s mark by one-hundredth of a second. It was also his second top-three finish of the weekend as he placed second in the 200 Free. Junior Alex Carson finished in fifth in the B final, 13th overall, with a time of 45.20. Freshman Nat Davenport placed eighth in the C final, 24th overall, in 46.29. Fabian and Carson posted NCAA B cuts in both the prelims and finals on Sunday.
• Freshman Marcelo Lauzurique then took eighth place in the 200 Breast as he touched in 2:03.41, an NCAA B cut. Sophomore Jasper Van Cauwelaert took sixth in the B final, 14th overall, in 2:05.52. Freshman Noah Frassrand finished in sixth in the C final, 22nd overall, with a time of 2:06.94.
• Senior Kyle Otazu led the Blue Jays in the 200 Fly with a second-place finish in the B final, 10th overall, and an NCAA B time of 1:49.88. Sophomore Raphael Bechtold took third in the C final, 19th overall, in 1:51.60 and classmate Matthew Garza placed sixth in 1:55.11.
• Hopkins closed out the meet with fifth and 11th-place finishes in the 400 Free Relay. Junior Michael Wohl, Carson, senior Mark Wilson and Fabian clocked in at 3:00.46. Their time is an NCAA B cut and the eighth fastest in program history. Taking 11th place were senior Michael Ashmead, Davenport, senior Davis Knox and Otazu in 3:04.62.
• The Blue Jays will travel to North Palm Beach in early January for their annual training trip. Hopkins will then return home to take on Stevens Tech at home on January 13.